Taylor series integration of cosx -1 / x

Homework Statement

∫((cosX)-1)/x dx

Homework Equations

Taylor Series

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach was basically to to split the integral into two more manageable parts which gave me

∫(cosX/x)dx - ∫(1/x)dx

The solutions manual did it completely differently and instead changed the index of the sum to start from n=1 instead of n=0 which "ate up" the 1 on top. I guess my question is, did I do it wrong or is my solution correct, only not as pretty?

I got the same sum as they did, except mine starts at 0 and I have an extra natural log.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

∫((cosX)-1)/x dx

Homework Equations

Taylor Series

The Attempt at a Solution

My approach was basically to to split the integral into two more manageable parts which gave me

∫(cosX/x)dx - ∫(1/x)dx

The solutions manual did it completely differently and instead changed the index of the sum to start from n=1 instead of n=0 which "ate up" the 1 on top. I guess my question is, did I do it wrong or is my solution correct, only not as pretty?

I got the same sum as they did, except mine starts at 0 and I have an extra natural log.

You should really post what you actually did. The answer shouldn't have any natural logs at all. The Taylor series of cos(x) already has a 1 in it.

I solved the two integrals: ∫(cosX/x)dx - ∫(1/x)dx.

The first one is exactly the same answer as the book got, except they shifted their index. I solved it by using the infinite sum definition of cosine. The integral of 1/x is ln x, that's where the log came from.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

The first one is exactly the same answer as the book got, except they shifted their index. I solved it by using the infinite sum definition of cosine. The integral of 1/x is ln x, that's where the log came from.

What did you do with the 1 in the series expansion of cos(x)? What do you think the series expansion of cos(x) is? These are the questions I'm trying to get at.

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed

The integral of cos(x)/x is non-elementary, but it is expressible in terms of already-defined non-elementary functions. Is that what you did?

Here's a picture of what I did. The light is kinda iffy but hopefully you'll see what's going on.

photo_2.jpg

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
What you did is invalid. You have ##\frac{\cos x}{x} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n \frac{x^{2n-1}}{(2n)!}##. That's fine, but your integration of that isn't fine. Look at the n=0 term. You integrated that incorrectly.

Hmm I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What term exactly are you referring to?

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
The n=0 term of your sum, of course. You computed ##\int \frac{x^{2n-1}}{(2n!)}\,dx## as ##\frac{x^{2n}}{(2n)(2n!)}##. That is not valid when n=0.

Feodalherren, you're making this much harder than it needs to be. Do not split (cos(x) -1)/x into two terms. Write the Maclaurin series expansion of cos(x) - 1, preferably without the summation sign so that you can get the first few terms right.

Ohh now I got it. Thanks.