1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor's Formula to derive higher order derivatives

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    The question asks the student to use Taylor's formula to calculate the exact values of higher derivatives

f '[0], f '' [0], f ''' [0], ... , f^6'[0]

of the function f[x] defined by the power series

x/2 + x^2/12 + x^3/240 +x^4/10080 + ... +((k x^k)/(2 k)!) + ....

My first attempt at a solution resulted in {0, 0, 0, 0 ...} which I know is not correct.

I do know that Taylor's Fromula says that the expansion of f[x] in powers of (x-b) is given by

f + f ' (x-b) + (f '' (x-b)^2)/2! + (f ''' (x-b)^2)/3! ... However, I just can't seem to figure out how to use it when I am given some given expansion such as above. I feel a little silly not being able to figure this out, but can anyone help me think about this? Maybe I need someone to explain it in a slightly different way. Thanks to all.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If f(x) = x/2 + x2/12 + x3/240 +x4/10080 + ... +((k xk)/(2 k)!) + ... ,

then what is f '(x) ? , f ''(x) ? , ...

Then let x = 0 for each derivative.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    Okay I got it. Looking at it from that approach is a great way to see, conceptually, what is going on. Thanks for taking the time. Of course, it seems that using Taylor Serires could be a rather inefficient method. I'm sure we will be learning other methods as the class advances.

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook