Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tchebysheff proof, help understanding transition to last step

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    proof attached as pdf in link provided

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Using A for |A| and kk for k squared:

1 > Akk/n
    1 < n/(Akk)
    A < n/kk
    A/n < 1/kk
    1 - A/n > 1 - 1/kk

So the stated result actually holds with strict equality.

4. Jun 4, 2009 #3
    I actually got some help with the algebraic manipulation, which was clouding my conceptual understanding, after looking at this more I realized what it all meant and why the use of >= instead of > at the end

Divide by k^2 results in 1/(k^2)>|A|/n

multiply both sides by -1 (fips inequality) and add 1 to both sides results in 1- 1/k^2 < 1-|A|/n

change from strict inequality to weak inequality to account for proportion of all elements "~A" INTERSECTION "B" results in
    1- 1/k^2 <= 1-|A|/n

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  5. Jun 4, 2009 #4
    But the only way 1 - A/n > 1 - 1/kk describes the proportion of measurements in B, i.e. ~A, is to switch to weak inequalitysince strict inquality leaves out part of B, t/f weak inequality is required.

What do you think?

6. Jun 4, 2009 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

|A| is a real number, like 2.

If 2/n < 1/kk then 1 - 2/n > 1 - 1/kk. Not so?

7. Jun 4, 2009 #6
    the cardinality of A, i.e. |A|, is a natural number, an integer in the set {0,1,2,3,...}

if |A|=1, and k =1 and n = 1 then the equations are equal. thats assuming that there is no restriction on n being equal to 1 and card(A) being equal to 1.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  8. Jun 4, 2009 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course, if the premise were 2/n < 1/kk then 1 - 2/n > 1 - 1/kk would be the case. But the premise is stated with strict inequality.

9. Jun 4, 2009 #8
    yes you're right. So the use of weak inequality may have something to do with describing the complement of A?

10. Jun 4, 2009 #9

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or what they meant was 2/(n-1) < 1/kk, then they replaced n-1 with n but forgot to change < to <.

11. Jun 5, 2009 #10
    Perhaps that's the case, because the strict inequality was used to derive the last line. Moreover, perhaps my set element argument was more of a way to try and rationalize the use of the weak inequality. I'm going to try and get a response from the author of this proof, and see what he says. Thanks for your responses EnumaElish.

12. Jun 6, 2009 #11
    I corresponded with a professor from a previous class about this and he reminded me about the use of logic in proofs

If you assume p is true then you may also conclude that ( p OR q) is true, no matter what q is! q doesn't ever have to be true since we've assumed p is. It's a fact in logic referred to as (addition or generalization).

p is LHS > RHS, and q is LHS = RHS.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  13. Jun 6, 2009 #12

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am not saying the proof is wrong; I am saying it can be more definitive.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook