Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teacher, this is stupid stuff

1. Jan 16, 2007 #1
    I'm wasting paper today because I have to throw away the homework which has scribbled-in curses, rants, insults to the grader, etc. Does anyone else have this problem? "This problem is useless." "This is obvious. Why do I have to write this out?" "Only a moron would use this notation." &c.

Yeah. :devil:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2007 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am confused. Your returned paper contains harsh critcisms from the teacher to the grader?
  4. Jan 16, 2007 #3
    Next time, dont sign up for 100 level courses.
  5. Jan 17, 2007 #4
    I think those are his comments about the usefullness of the assignment.
  6. Jan 17, 2007 #5
    It's comments I'm writing earnestedly on the homework I'm doing, then having to scrap after my blood pressure comes down. Yeah.

I've actually experienced a complete mood shift; I've consumed so much coffee I'm now dancing around and loudly singing praises to the transfer matrices of optical stacks. Naked too. I'm enjoying this too much...
  7. Jan 17, 2007 #6
    Kindly sir, this is the 2nd semester of a graduate-level E&M course. It's not supposed to be two stupid pages of high school trig, which is why I'm outraged.
  8. Jan 17, 2007 #7
    It is what it is, what can you do about it?
  9. Jan 17, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

Rach, sounds like you're just a tad too indulgent generally. Might want to reassess your priorities...
  10. Jan 17, 2007 #9

I use high school trig every day in my research.

Don't diss the basics!
  11. Jan 17, 2007 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I sympathize. Same thing with C++.

Write a program that adds up all the numbers from 1 to 100,000.

sum=(number^2 + number)/2

That's a pretty easy program, yet I got a major markdown because I failed to use a loop. How fair is that? Isn't part of learning how to use loops knowing when using a loop would be silly?

That's okay. I was able to make it up by writing a decent program that found square roots using Newton's method (yeah, that's just as silly since there's a C++ command for square roots, but, hey.....)
  12. Mar 16, 2007 #11
    Then stop scribbling irrelevent comments on your homework....if you don't intend to submit the hw with the comments then why do you write them?
  13. Mar 16, 2007 #12
    Hmm, where has Rach been?
  14. Mar 16, 2007 #13
    Hes in australia or something.
  15. Mar 17, 2007 #14

Science Advisor

Sounds fair, to be honest.
    Clearly the point of the assignment was to use a loop. I mean you weren't adding all numbers from 1 to 100,000, just evaluating an expression that has the same value.
  16. Mar 17, 2007 #15

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What's the difference? :confused:
  17. Mar 17, 2007 #16
    Rach, that sums up every single class I've been in 9-12th grade. o_O
  18. Mar 17, 2007 #17

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It sums up almost every class I've been expect for maybe 2, and I'm in 3rd at a university!
  19. Mar 17, 2007 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hmm..so, trigonometry is trivial to you. That's fine.
    Unfortunately, trigonometry is difficult for many. That is not at all fine if you are to progress further with maths.
  20. Mar 17, 2007 #19

I don't see anything wrong with it other than it taking up your time. I guess it is impolite, but I don't think it should be a reason to lose credit.

Yeah, really.

But I spend a lot of paper like that too.
  21. Mar 18, 2007 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They clearly said "add up all the numbers" not "return the value of all the numbers added up." Clever answers don't always get high marks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?