Technical Courses in EE - Your Experiences?

• Courses
  • Thread starter DefaultName
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses Ee
In summary, if you're interested in taking a course that's related to your future job, go for it! However, make sure you also take other classes that will help you develop your skills in other areas.
DefaultName
Hi, I'll be a senior EE this upcoming fall and was curious to see what kind of experiences you've had with the following courses:

Analog Circuit Design
Digital Communications Systems
Cryptography & Information Security
Probabilistic Systems Analysis
Electro-Optics and Lasers
Topics in Multiple User Information Theory
Adaptive Signal Processing​
These are all 400-level courses.

The ones that interest me are in italics. Any experiences with them? Does it matter which class I take --- as far as employability goes? I'm sure taking a class in the field in which your employer works in is helpful, but does it hurt if I take an Electro-Optics class if I don't plan on joining a company that does things with optics?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DefaultName said:
The ones that interest me are in italics. Any experiences with them? Does it matter which class I take --- as far as employability goes? I'm sure taking a class in the field in which your employer works in is helpful, but does it hurt if I take an Electro-Optics class if I don't plan on joining a company that does things with optics?

I will answer this generally, as I am not very familiar with EE. Extra knowledge is always a good thing. You never know when knowledge will come in handy. Some courses may sound specific, but actually provide fundamentals that can be applied to other areas. i.e. I took a fuel cells course and ended up learning about mass/charge transfer, reaction kinetics, electrochemistry, and physical modeling.

So, if that course really interests you, take it. However, don't let this course replace a crucial elective for your concentration

I am now taking a random process class right now and am enjoying it very much...However, it is REALLY hard. Lots of very hard math. Any of the other classes would probably be easier.

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and electronics engineering?

Electrical engineering is a broad field that focuses on the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It deals with the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power, as well as the design and development of electrical systems. Electronics engineering, on the other hand, is a more specialized field that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electronic circuits, devices, and systems.

2. What are some common technical courses in EE?

Some common technical courses in EE include circuit analysis, digital logic design, electromagnetics, power systems, control systems, microelectronics, and communication systems. These courses cover fundamental concepts and principles in electrical engineering and provide students with hands-on experience through lab work and projects.

3. What skills are needed to succeed in technical courses in EE?

To succeed in technical courses in EE, students should have a strong foundation in math and physics. They should also have good problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Basic knowledge of programming languages, such as C or MATLAB, is also beneficial. Additionally, students should be able to work well in teams and have good communication skills.

4. What are some career options for graduates with a degree in EE?

Graduates with a degree in EE have a wide range of career options, including working in industries such as power and energy, telecommunications, electronics, automation, and control. They can also work in research and development, consulting, or pursue further studies in graduate school. Some common job titles for EE graduates include electrical engineer, electronics engineer, systems engineer, and design engineer.

5. How can I prepare for technical courses in EE?

To prepare for technical courses in EE, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with basic circuit analysis and programming concepts. You can also start exploring the field by reading books or watching online tutorials. Additionally, make use of resources such as office hours and study groups to clarify any doubts and practice problem-solving.