Technical electives in mechanical engr.

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between taking a course in mechanical vibrations and a course in controls. The individuals also mention the importance of controls in industry and in co-op interviews, and recommend taking a finite element analysis class as a technical elective.
Mr. A
I am taking a course in mechanical vibrations next semester and was wondering if I should take a course in controls?

Does vibration and controls have any connection? It seems like they are used in different disciplines and knowledge in one don't help with other. I could be wrong.

Can someone explain what vibrations and controls are and in where in industry are they used?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently went on a lot of co-op interviews and the #1 academic question was "Do you plan to take controls?" It seems to be a highly sought after skill.

It is required at my school, two semesters of it.

For mechanical engineers FEA is very important. I'd say make sure you take an FEA class as a tech elective.

Thanks for your response. I will definitely look into it.

leright: I am taking finite element right now. It's a good skill to have.

Related to Technical electives in mechanical engr.

What are technical electives in mechanical engineering?

Technical electives in mechanical engineering are courses that students in this field can choose to take in order to fulfill their degree requirements. These courses typically focus on specialized topics within mechanical engineering, such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, or design principles.

How many technical electives do I need to take?

The number of technical electives required varies depending on the specific program and university. Typically, students are required to take around 3-5 technical electives, but this can range anywhere from 2-8 courses.

Can I choose any technical elective I want?

While there is usually some flexibility in choosing technical electives, there may be certain requirements or restrictions set by the university or department. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure that the chosen courses fulfill degree requirements and align with the student's academic goals.

What are the benefits of taking technical electives?

Technical electives allow students to explore specific areas of interest within mechanical engineering and gain valuable knowledge and skills in those areas. They also provide opportunities for hands-on experiences and practical applications of theoretical concepts, which can be beneficial for future career prospects.

Are there any prerequisites for technical electives?

Some technical electives may have prerequisite courses that must be completed before enrollment. These prerequisites may include specific math or science courses, or certain core mechanical engineering courses. It is important to review and fulfill any prerequisites before selecting technical electives.