Telephone My Heart: Pacemakers & Spinal Cord Stimulators

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary, a customer was telling me today about his dad's pacemaker. Modifications are made by the doctor by telephone with the earpiece held over the heart. Apparently the doctor uses a device that emits audio tones for various programming functions. My mother recently had a spinal cord stimulator implanted. Used for relief of severe and chronic pain, it blocks the pain signal to the brain by emitting a number of patterns of electrical stimulation to two electrodes implanted along the spinal cord. Adjustments are made with a radio transmitter contained in a hand-held wand that is waved over the area of the implant. A gentically engineered cell phone is an example of technology that is used for the better.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A customer was telling me today about his dad's pacemaker. Modifications are made by the doctor by telephone with the earpiece held over the heart. Apparently the doctor uses a device that emits audio tones for various programming functions. This way the pacemaker can be fine tuned to the recipient’s particular needs, even as they change over time.

On a similar vein, my mother recently had a spinal cord stimulator implanted. Used for relief of severe and chronic pain, it blocks the pain signal to the brain by emitting a number of patterns of electrical stimulation to two electrodes implanted along the spinal cord. The battery and stimulator are implanted in the back, and the battery lasts for six years. Minor surgery is required to replace it! Adjustments are made with a radio transmitter contained in a hand-held wand that is waved over the area of the implant. I think about a dozen different stimulation patterns can each be run exclusively, or simultaneous to some or all other patterns. Really, it is amazing technology. Without this technology, my mom can't live without IV morphine and permanent hospitalization.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Wow. Glad to see technology at work for the better ^_^

Ivan Seeking said:
my mother recently had a spinal cord stimulator implanted.
I thought that members of your species were born with them?:confused:

Seriously though, it's wonderful what medical science is doing. They must have some mighty secure codes on those pacemakers to rule out tampering or accidental reprogramming.
The thing that your mother has sounds as if it would be ideal for the GF's sister. She's in heavy chronic pain, on morphine patches (although she thinks that it's heavy-duty Aspirin) which don't help much, and has to fire up several spliffs a day for pain management. I can just imagine a 75-year-old woman getting busted for possession because it's the only thing that works. (She's going to apply for a 'green card', which doesn't mean what it does in the States. It's a government permit for medicinal weed.)

My grandfather has had one of those pacemakers for several years now. I was pretty impressed when I saw it too. The best part is that my grandparents can no longer drive (they just gave their car to my parents since it has just been sitting in the garage anyway...at least they had the sense to decided for themselves that they were no longer able to drive), so weekly fine-tuning doesn't require yet another trip to a doctor's office, that would require a ride from another relative and would be an added burden to the already frequent doctor's visits for them at their age.

Danger said:
I thought that members of your species were born with them?:confused:

You are thinking of gentically engineered cell phones.

Sorry.:redface: But you must admit, it's a common error.

By the bye, I mentioned this stuff to GF's neice this morning. No electrical stuff allowed near her grandma, particularly her spine. She had a stroke a few years ago and has a plate and a bunch of wires in her head. Damned if I know what the wires are for, whether structural or some electronic gizmo. These folks aren't the least bit technological, so there's no point in asking.

My grandfather has one as well. Clever to do it that way, but its just an old-style modem - the kind that went out in the late '70s, where you put these little cups over the mouthpiece and earpiece.

Really what strikes me most about the pacemaker is that it is so crude. I never would have thougt it practical but one can't argue with success.

1. What is a pacemaker and how does it work?

A pacemaker is a small medical device that is implanted under the skin of the chest to help regulate the heart's rhythm. It uses electrical impulses to prompt the heart to beat at a steady rate and can also monitor the heart's activity. When the heart beats too slowly or irregularly, the pacemaker sends an electrical signal to stimulate the heart muscle and keep it beating normally.

2. Who needs a pacemaker?

Pacemakers are typically recommended for people who have a heart condition that causes an irregular or slow heart rate. This can include conditions like bradycardia, atrial fibrillation, or heart block. Your doctor will determine if a pacemaker is necessary based on your individual medical history and symptoms.

3. How is a pacemaker implanted?

The implantation of a pacemaker is a minor surgical procedure that is typically performed under local anesthesia. A small incision is made in the chest and the pacemaker is placed under the skin, usually just below the collarbone. The wires of the pacemaker, called leads, are then guided through a vein into the heart and attached to the heart muscle. The incision is then closed with stitches or surgical glue.

4. What is a spinal cord stimulator and how does it work?

A spinal cord stimulator is a small device that is implanted under the skin of the back to help manage chronic pain. It works by sending electrical signals to the spinal cord, which can interfere with or block pain signals from reaching the brain. This can help to reduce pain and improve overall quality of life for patients with chronic pain conditions.

5. Who is a candidate for a spinal cord stimulator?

Spinal cord stimulators are typically recommended for people who have chronic pain that has not responded to other forms of treatment, such as medication or physical therapy. This can include conditions like failed back surgery syndrome, complex regional pain syndrome, or neuropathic pain. Your doctor will determine if a spinal cord stimulator is appropriate for you based on your individual medical history and symptoms.