1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telescope to see stars

Tags:
  1. Mar 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Vague class discussion. Stars are points and a telescope does not magnify them.
    How then can more stars be seen with a telescope?

2. Relevant equations
    I know magnification for a telescope is fo/fe but that is not much help
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it because diffraction makes bigger images?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Here's a hint. How does a telescope differ significantly from your naked eye?

4. Mar 31, 2012 #3
    The main thing about a telescope is that it magnifies.
    That is what I think fo/ fe means

5. Mar 31, 2012 #4

turbo

Gold Member

You are missing an important quality of telescopes.

6. Mar 31, 2012 #5
    I know that they cause diffraction which makes point sources larger. Is that what you mean.
    Ps... I have looked on wiki for telescope magnification and could not find an explanation

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. Mar 31, 2012 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Nope. You're over-thinking this. Go to the "telescope" thread and see if you can figure it out. I can't give you the answer (forum roles), but I can show you the way to good resources.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=391086

8. Mar 31, 2012 #7
    I have just spent half an hour or so looking through that reference. It gives lots of advice about which telescope to buy.....I already own a telescope (Meade)....but there is nothing to help me explain how I can see more stars !!!!
    "I am missing an important quality of telescopes"......"I am over-thinking this"..... I dont get it.... is there a straight forward answer ?
    Do you have any other references that might help.
    Is my diffraction idea wrong?

9. Mar 31, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

What are the critical physical qualities of the telescopes in that thread?

10. Mar 31, 2012 #9
    ??????
    Thank you for your help

11. Mar 31, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

12. Mar 31, 2012 #11
    I have a telescope and am not looking for advice about which telescope to buy.
    I am no wiser about how it is that more stars can be seen through a telescope.
    My first and only idea was that diffraction make bigger images and I will stick with that in our class discussion.

13. Mar 31, 2012 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Don't do that emily, because it is wrong. Which telescopes will show you more stars than others and why?

14. Mar 31, 2012 #13
    I think I am correct when I say that diffraction makes stars look bigger. We have done calculations to show what is meant by 'resolution' which is to do with separating images.
    I also know the equation for calculating angular width to find the size of a point source.
    I do not know how it is wrong that this explains how stars can be seen !!!!
    If they look bigger because of diffraction it sounds right to me.

15. Mar 31, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Again, what qualities would you want in a telescope to show you more and more (fainter and fainter) stars?

16. Mar 31, 2012 #15
    they should have bigger diffraction patterns.... I dont know.... that is why I came here.... for help.

17. Mar 31, 2012 #16

turbo

Gold Member

That's not the answer. I'm trying to throw resources at you, but I can't simply give you the answer. Forum rules, sorry.

18. Mar 31, 2012 #17
    But am I correct in saying that the diffraction pattern will be larger ?
    If so I can use that in my discussion, something will come of it
    I do not understand your 'rules'

19. Mar 31, 2012 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Do you think huge professional telescopes have large diffraction patterns, and that's why they can show more stars?

20. Mar 31, 2012 #19
    you tell me !!!! It sounds reasonable to me !!!!...if it works

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  21. Mar 31, 2012 #20
    Emily, you already know that the telescope doesn't make the star larger. What else does a telescope do. Something that's different from what your eyes do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook