1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature of Nitrogen in a Pipe

1. Jun 29, 2008 #1
    Hi, i am on work experience and they have given me a short task which is sort of the next step up from work i have done previously. Can anyone help me with the following:-

Vessel containing nitrogen at 50 oC

Nitrogen is pumped along a 30m length of pipe at a flow rate of 1.5 litres per minute

pipe line is at ambient temp 20 oC

I need to find the temperature of the Nitrogen upon it reaching the end of the pipe at 30m

I have calculated and gathered the following info -

pipe OD - 0.00635m
    pipe ID - 0.00457m
    Specific Heat Ration of Nitrogen (k) - 1.4
    Absolute Preesure through pipe - 9bar
    Density of nitrogen at 9bar - 9.47748 kg/m3

I'm not exactly sure how to start this?? But i have looked through some books and believe i need to work out the velocity first?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2008 #2
    Please ignore this post and refer to the later post on 01/07/2008 named "Thermodynamics Change in Gas Temperature along pipe" which is an attempt at the question and should be a clearer.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?