Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature of the back of a turbine jet engine (or something like that)

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    can anybody please tell me the temperature (degrees Celsius plz.) there is at the back of a normal turbine jet engine (or something like that:tongue2: )?? i couldn't find it on wikipedia or something like that:frown: so i ask it here:approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There is an extremely wide range - could you be more specific as to what type and under what operating conditions?

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    hmm
    i think the types used in modern fighter planes, in the air or something
    i need the temperatures for calculations for my idea

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

There is a pretty good introductory treatment of the different types of jet engines at wikipedia.org:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_engine

As Russ says, and as the article discusses, different jet engine types have different exhaust temperatures. High-bypass designs obviously cool off the exhaust more than low-bypass types. The temperature of the combustion is given about 2/3 of the way down the long page.

6. Mar 29, 2007 #5
    thank you very much
    now i can go on calculating and experimenting ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?