Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Temperature prediction of a material

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    I was not sure where to post this question so if anyone has a better home for it please advise.

I am trying calculate how much temperature a given mass is required to be heated to (oven setting) to reach a target temperature on the surface of a metal like copper. I also need to know this setting vs time. For example if I have piece of copper and it is in an oven for 30 seconds and I want to raise it 1,2,3, 10, 20 degree celsius what setting will I need to achieve this in the given time? Also vise versa, how much time at a given set point would be required to change temp by a target 1,2,3, 10, 20 degrees Celsius.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there :smile:

Since you gave your thread an "A" tag, it assumes you have got a university degree in physics or similar
    so you should have a pretty good idea where to start with working something like this out

so where have you go to so far ?
    [Mentor's note: The thread tag was changed to 'B' after this was written]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Aug 10, 2017 #3
    Sorry new to this was asking for upto an A level response. My plan is to just run a bunch of tests then gather data and analyze trend but wanted to see if there was any basic equations that would be related
    Best guess is some relationship between the specific heat and mass of the object...

5. Aug 10, 2017 #4
    Yes start with that. You should know the relationship so get calculating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted