Temperature problem in fluids mechanics

In summary, the problem involves determining the time rate of change of temperature of a fluid particle at different positions and time points in an exhaust pipe with given parameters. By treating x and t as variables and using the equation for temperature in function of time and position, the solution can be found by taking the derivative of the equation with respect to time and substituting in the given values. The result can be used to determine the temperature change at x=0 and x=4 m when t=0.
PythagoreLove

Homework Statement

Assume the temperature of the exhaust in an exhaust pipe can be approximated by
T=T0(1+ae-bx)[1+c cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)]
T0=100oC,
a=3,
b=0.03m-1,
c=0.05,
[itex]\omega[/itex]=100 rad/s.

If the exhaust speed is a constant 3 m/s, determine the time rate of change of temperature of the fluid particle at x=0 and x=4 m when t=0.

Homework Equations

We know the equation of the temperature in function of the time and the position
T=T0(1+ae-bx)[1+c cos([itex]\omega[/itex]t)]

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that the time rate of change of temperature of the fluid particle is dT/dt

[itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]=T0(1+ae-bx)[-c [itex]\omega[/itex] sin([itex]\omega[/itex]t)]

When t=0, dT/dt=0... unfortunately that isn't the answer, since I don't use the exhaust speed (and have no idea how I could use it).

Thank you
PytLove

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you treated x and t as a variables...

Seems like a wonderful idea and totally worked, that problem was so different from the others I've done in fluid mechanics... I have no idea that I needed to use x(t) in my dT/dt.

Thank you Lawrence

PytLove

1. What is the temperature problem in fluid mechanics?

The temperature problem in fluid mechanics refers to the challenge of accurately predicting the temperature distribution in a fluid flow. This is important because temperature influences many properties of fluids, such as viscosity, density, and thermal conductivity, which in turn affect the behavior of the fluid flow.

2. Why is the temperature problem important in fluid mechanics?

The temperature problem is important because it affects the accuracy of fluid flow predictions and can have significant impacts on engineering design and performance. For example, in the design of heat exchangers or combustion systems, accurate temperature predictions are crucial for optimal performance and safety.

3. What factors affect the temperature distribution in fluid flow?

Several factors can influence the temperature distribution in fluid flow, including the type of fluid, its flow rate, the geometry of the flow, and the presence of heat sources or sinks. Other factors such as thermal properties of the fluid and boundary conditions at the walls also play a role.

4. How is the temperature problem solved in fluid mechanics?

The temperature problem is typically solved using mathematical models and computational methods. These involve solving the equations governing fluid flow, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, along with energy equations to account for temperature changes. Advanced techniques such as finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics are commonly used for more complex problems.

5. What are some challenges in solving the temperature problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the temperature problem is the complexity of fluid flow and the interactions between different physical phenomena. This requires advanced mathematical and computational techniques, as well as experimental validation. Other challenges include accurately accounting for boundary conditions and thermal properties of fluids, as well as the limitations of current computational resources.