Temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids?

In summary, the conversation discusses a new type of video display that uses a thin liquid layer with controllable heating elements to create continuous images. The main advantage of this display is that the colors of the pixels blend together, unlike current digital displays. However, there are concerns about the complexity of algorithms needed, the non-linear color response, and the slow thermal response of the liquid. Additionally, temperature gradients and convection currents may cause blurring and distortion. The feasibility of such a display is questioned due to these limitations.
jasc15
I've had a vague idea for some a new type of video display for a while now. it consists of a thin liquid layer, sort of like liquid crystal i guess, with an array of controllable heating elements behind it. A video signal would be translated into a matrix of temperature levels for these elements, which would change the color of the liquid in front of it. The main advantage of this over the current digital video displays, is that the picture would be continuous, rather than discrete. Even though the signal would still be discrete, the colors of the "pixels" would blend into the adjacent "pixel". this would most certainly require very complex algorithms to determine the color; the color response might not be linearly dependent of temp, the response time of the color change might be too slow for a fluid picture, etc. So i guess my main question would be wether or not such a material exitsts, or if there is something similar already in use.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Will not work...even assuming (boldly) that you can create such a thermoluminescent liquid whose emission peak can be tuned across the entire visible spectrum.

1. pixel switching times are limited by thermal response of the liquid ...you'll be,. at best, watching everything in superslow motion
2. temperature gradients in the liquid will make convection currents that mix and blurr any image,
3. similarly, conduction across the surface of the wall separating the heaters and the liquid will cause blurring and distortion

Thanks for your input. i figured there would be some major limitations in the thermal response of the liquid, and i hadn't considered convection currents.

Related to Temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids?

1. What are temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids?

Temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids are liquids that change color or emit light in response to changes in temperature. They are also known as thermochromic or thermoluminescent liquids.

2. How do temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids work?

These liquids contain molecules that have the ability to change their structure or arrangement in response to temperature. This change causes a shift in the wavelength of light that is emitted, resulting in a change in color or luminescence.

3. What are the practical applications of temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids?

These liquids have a wide range of potential applications, such as in temperature-sensitive paint for indicating hot spots in machinery, as temperature sensors in medical devices, and in novelty items like color-changing mugs or mood rings.

4. Are temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids safe to use?

Most temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids are non-toxic and safe to use. However, it is important to read and follow the safety precautions on the product label before use.

5. Can temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids be customized for specific temperature ranges?

Yes, the molecules in these liquids can be designed to respond to specific temperature ranges, allowing for customization for different applications and temperature needs.