Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature sensitive, luminescent liquids?

1. Nov 15, 2006 #1
    I've had a vague idea for some a new type of video display for a while now. it consists of a thin liquid layer, sort of like liquid crystal i guess, with an array of controllable heating elements behind it. A video signal would be translated into a matrix of temperature levels for these elements, which would change the color of the liquid in front of it. The main advantage of this over the current digital video displays, is that the picture would be continuous, rather than discrete. Even though the signal would still be discrete, the colors of the "pixels" would blend into the adjacent "pixel". this would most certainly require very complex algorithms to determine the color; the color response might not be linearly dependent of temp, the response time of the color change might be too slow for a fluid picture, etc. So i guess my main question would be wether or not such a material exitsts, or if there is something similar already in use.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Will not work...even assuming (boldly) that you can create such a thermoluminescent liquid whose emission peak can be tuned across the entire visible spectrum.

1. pixel switching times are limited by thermal response of the liquid ...you'll be,. at best, watching everything in superslow motion
    2. temperature gradients in the liquid will make convection currents that mix and blurr any image,
    3. similarly, conduction across the surface of the wall separating the heaters and the liquid will cause blurring and distortion

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3
    Thanks for your input. i figured there would be some major limitations in the thermal response of the liquid, and i hadn't considered convection currents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?