Can anyone help with strange deflection in ANSYS 15 tensile test simulation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a strange deflection in a tensile test using ACP PrePost and Static Structural modules. The laminate being used consists of 6 laminas of E FiberGlass and the geometry is simplified to 1/4 of the original. The speaker is unsure of the cause of the deflection and is seeking help. One suggested solution is to apply symmetry boundary conditions and constrain the end of the specimen in all directions, with a prescribed axial displacement value. Another suggestion is to restrict deformations to in-plane only using a boundary condition applied to the entire surface of the specimen with a fixed displacement in the Z direction. Photos have been attached for further understanding.
Rawllet
TL;DR Summary
Tensile test, using ACP Pre and Static Structural modules, of a fiber glass laminate with 6 layers orientated +/-45°.
Hello everyone!

I am trying to modelate a tensile test of dumbbell-shaped specimen under ACP PrePost and Static Structural modules. The laminate I am configuring consists of 6 laminas of E FiberGlass orientated +/-45°. For simplicity I am working with 1/4 of the geometry and the boundary conditions are 2 displacements. One that let's movement only in X axis and the other only let's movement in Y and Z axis.

My problem is a strange deflection that is shown in the solutions spot and I do not know what could be the reason of it. I don't know if is because of the boundary conditions or maybe a bad laminate configuration.

I wii be very thankful for any help. I attached a few photos that could help in the understanding of the problem.

laminate configuration.png

shell mesh.png

boundary condition 1.png

boundary condition 2.png
stress_1.png

stress_2.png

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Apply symmetry boundary condition to cut edges. Constrain the end of the specimen in all directions and prescribe axial displacement value. To avoid lateral deflection you can restrict deformations to in-plane only using boundary condition applied to the whole surface of the specimen with fixed displacement in Z direction.

shell mesh.png

1. How do I define the material properties for my ANSYS 15 tensile test simulation?

To define the material properties for your simulation, you will need to go to the "Engineering Data" tab in ANSYS and select the appropriate material model for your material. Then, you can input the relevant material properties such as Young's modulus, Poisson's ratio, and yield strength.

2. Why am I getting strange deflection results in my ANSYS 15 tensile test simulation?

There could be several reasons for this, such as incorrect boundary conditions, improper meshing, or incorrect material properties. It is important to carefully review all inputs and make sure they are accurate before running the simulation.

3. How can I troubleshoot strange deflection in my ANSYS 15 tensile test simulation?

One way to troubleshoot this issue is to check the convergence of the solution. If the solution is not converging, it could indicate a problem with the mesh or boundary conditions. You can also try refining the mesh or adjusting the boundary conditions to see if it improves the results.

4. Is there a way to validate the results of my ANSYS 15 tensile test simulation?

Yes, you can compare the results of your simulation to experimental data or analytical solutions. This can help you determine if your simulation is accurate and if any adjustments need to be made to improve the results.

5. Can I use ANSYS 15 for other types of simulations besides tensile tests?

Yes, ANSYS 15 can be used for a wide range of simulations, including structural, thermal, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic simulations. It is a versatile software that can be used for various engineering applications.