Tension and acceleration problem

In summary, the problem involves two objects with weights of 200N and 300N, connected by two pulleys - one with a stationary axle and one free to move up and down. The goal is to find the tensions FT1 and FT2, as well as the acceleration of each body. Using the equation F=ma, the attempt involved drawing free-body diagrams and determining that the tension for mass 2 is twice that of mass 1, with the acceleration of mass 2 being half of mass 1. However, there was a sign error in the second equation, which was corrected to find the correct answer of a=1.78m/s^2.
freshcoast
1. Problem statement/ given data
The weights of the objects are 200N and 300N. The pulleys are essentially frictionless and massless. Pulley P1 has a stationary axle, but pulley P2 is free to move up and down. Find the tensions FT1 and FT2 and the acceleration of each body.

2. Homework Equations .
F=ma

3. Attempt.
I drew a FBD for each mass with m1 going down with down as the positive and m2 going up with up as the positive direction. I know that in this system the tension for mass 2 is twice the tension of mass 1 and that the acceleration for mass 2 is half of mass 1. I have the answer and the explained solution but I don't know how I'm getting a different answer than they are. Can someone check what I am not seeing here? I know if I find the right acceleration I just have to plug that into find the tensions.

29mq1c1.jpg

The answer in the book is a= 1.78m/s^2

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me that your second equation has a sign error.

For mass 2? Since that mass is going up shouldn't the upwards be the positive direction? So it would be T - mg ?

Yes, that's right. I should have been clearer. I was referring to the second line of your equations where you wrote for m1: FT1 = m1ay + m1g. Check the signs in this equation.

Oh I see it now, got it thanks!

1. What is tension and acceleration?

Tension and acceleration are two important concepts in physics that are often studied together. Tension is a force that acts on an object when it is pulled or stretched, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

2. How do I calculate tension in a system?

To calculate tension in a system, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration it is experiencing, and the forces acting on it. Once you have this information, you can use the equation T = ma to calculate the tension, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration?

The relationship between tension and acceleration depends on the system. In some cases, an increase in tension will lead to an increase in acceleration, while in others, it may result in a decrease in acceleration. This relationship is influenced by factors such as the mass of the object and the forces acting on it.

4. How does tension affect an object's motion?

Tension can affect an object's motion in different ways. If the tension is greater than the object's weight, it can cause the object to accelerate in the direction of the tension. However, if the tension is less than the object's weight, it can cause the object to decelerate or even come to a stop.

5. Can tension and acceleration be negative?

Yes, both tension and acceleration can be negative. A negative tension would mean that the object is being compressed rather than stretched, while a negative acceleration would mean that the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force.