1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension and acceleration problem

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. Problem statement/ given data
    The weights of the objects are 200N and 300N. The pulleys are essentially frictionless and massless. Pulley P1 has a stationary axle, but pulley P2 is free to move up and down. Find the tensions FT1 and FT2 and the acceleration of each body.

2. Relevant equations.
    F=ma

3. Attempt.
    I drew a FBD for each mass with m1 going down with down as the positive and m2 going up with up as the positive direction. I know that in this system the tension for mass 2 is twice the tension of mass 1 and that the acceleration for mass 2 is half of mass 1. I have the answer and the explained solution but I don't know how I'm getting a different answer than they are. Can someone check what im not seeing here? I know if I find the right acceleration I just have to plug that in to find the tensions.

29mq1c1.jpg

The answer in the book is a= 1.78m/s^2

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks to me that your second equation has a sign error.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    For mass 2? Since that mass is going up shouldnt the upwards be the positive direction? So it would be T - mg ?

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. I should have been clearer. I was referring to the second line of your equations where you wrote for m1: FT1 = m1ay + m1g. Check the signs in this equation.

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5
    Oh I see it now, got it thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted