Tension in a flexible circular loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a small circular flexible loop of wire carrying a current placed in a uniform magnetic field. The question is which factor will result in a doubled tension in the loop. The relevant equation for finding tension is F=I(lxB). The conversation goes on to discuss the correct approach to solving the problem and concludes that the correct answer is A or C.
cheapstrike

Homework Statement

A small circular flexible loop of wire of radius R carries a current I. It is placed in a uniform magnetic field B. The tension in the loop will be double if

A) I is doubled B) B is halved C) r is doubled D) both B and I are doubled.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Assuming B to be inside plane of paper and I to be clockwise)
The way I am looking at the problem is that because the loop is flexible its area will increase and because of the increase in area that total flux passing through the loop will also increase. This change in flux will induce an EMF which leads to an anticlockwise current, thereby reducing net current.
I think we then have to find a relation between I and r but I can't understand how to do it.
I don't even know if this is correct way to approach.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relevant equation showing where the tension comes from?

kuruman said:
What is the relevant equation showing where the tension comes from?
I think F=I(lxB) where l will be 2*pi*r?

cheapstrike said:
I think F=I(lxB) where l will be 2*pi*r?
No. Consider first an element dl = r dθ and the force acting on it at each of its ends.

kuruman said:
No. Consider first an element dl = r dθ and the force acting on it at each of its ends.
Will the force acting on the dl element not be radially outwards?

It will indeed be radially outwards, but the rest of the loop will keep it in place by exerting tension at its ends. Draw a FBD.

kuruman said:
It will indeed be radially outwards, but the rest of the loop will keep it in place by exerting tension at its ends. Draw a FBD.
Ok.. so in the FBD, there will be an outward force and a force on both sides of dl due to the other two ends. But can we get any relation from here?
I mean the loop is elastic so won't it expand?

cheapstrike said:
mean the loop is elastic so won't it expand?
According to the problem, the wire is flexible not elastic and its radius is fixed at R. I don't interpret this as meaning that the loop can stretch. All it means is that it wll assume a circular shape of radius R.

Likes cheapstrike
kuruman said:
According to the problem, the wire is flexible not elastic and its radius is fixed at R. I don't interpret this as meaning that the loop can stretch. All it means is that it wll assume a circular shape of radius R.
Ah.. I got mixed up with that. Ok. So the element dl will remain at it's place meaning net force on it is zero? So, the net outward force = I(dlxB) will be balanced by the two forces at it's ends. Btw how will we do it?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
I think the force acting radially outwards on the element dl will be I(dlxB) which is IdlB as dl is perpendicular to B. This force will be balanced by sin of both the tension forces. Also, their cosines will cancel each other.
So we will have an equation IdlB=2Tsin(dx), where T is the tensional force and dx is the angle which each tension vector makes with the tangent at dl (dx is d(theta)). As dx is small, sin(dx)=dx.
So equation becomes IdlB=2Tdx
Giving T=IdlB/2dx.
dl/dx can be written as r where r is the radius.
So, T=IBr/2.
But this seems incorrect to me as, in this case, T will be doubled on doubling I as well as r.
But I believe the question is single correct (I don't know the answer but I think it's single correct).
Can you please tell what is wrong with this and also the correct equations.
Thanks.

It looks like your tension is half of what it ought to be. Here is the FBD. You need to balance forces in the y-direction. Remember to integrate the y-component of dF using integration variable φ.

LoopInField.png

Likes cheapstrike
kuruman said:
It looks like your tension is half of what it ought to be. Here is the FBD. You need to balance forces in the y-direction. Remember to integrate the y-component of dF using integration variable φ.

View attachment 115625
Ok.. so I took the angle that T vector makes incorrectly. It should be dx/2.

Can you finish now?

kuruman said:

View attachment 115625
I am a little unsure about this but, I wrote this as
dFcosφ=Tθ (i wrote sinθ=θ) and then wrote dF as IdlB where dl is rdφ and integrated it from -θ/2 to θ/2 and wrote sinθ/2=θ/2 and finally got
IBr=T.
Is this correct?
If this is, then shouldn't the answer be A) and C)?

cheapstrike said:
IBr=T.
That's what I got.
cheapstrike said:
If this is, then shouldn't the answer be A) and C)?
I would say the answer is A or C. Are you sure this is not a multiple answer question?

kuruman said:
That's what I got.

I would say the answer is A or C. Are you sure this is not a multiple answer question?
I am not sure, i don't even know the answer. But the method seems correct.. :D
Thanks a lot

cheapstrike said:
shouldn't the answer be A) and C)?
kuruman said:
I would say the answer is A or C
English is not great for expressing logical predicates.
The tension will double if A or C is done; the tension will double if A is done and the tension will double if C is done.

haruspex said:
... the tension will double if A is done and the tension will double if C is done.
Exactly why this should be put forth as a "multiple answer" question where A and C are the two correct answers. It cannot be a "multiple choice" question which guarantees that only one answer is correct and which can be answered either by proving/deriving the correct answer or by showing that each of the n - 1 answers is incorrect.

Here, the statement "the tension will double" is true if either A is true or C is true, but not if both are true. Perhaps I should have written, "I would say the answer is A xor C" in an effort to remedy the shortcomings of the English language with logic. :smile:

There is no point in writing this but...
I think, saying A and C are correct is fine coz these two are two different cases. In A) only I is being doubled and in C) only r is being doubled. That's why option D) is there which shows that if the asker of the question wants to change two parameters in 1 case together, he must mention them together under a single option.

As far as this question is considered, either there is a printing mistake or it's a multiple correct. I think it's former coz question claimed to be single correct.

You all r putting a lot of brain...it has now formed a closed loop so F=mxB
m=(pi*r*r)*i
This implies on increasing current i or magnetic field B...Force will double.
In ur case it is "on incresing current". Hope it was correct.

Piyushagg said:
You all r putting a lot of brain...it has now formed a closed loop so F=mxB
You r incorrect. Torque, not force is mxB. We are concerned with force here.

I was thinking that net force is suppose to be zero in a closed loop in uniform magnetic field but torque is mostly non zero so if torque increases then force increases that's what i thought, sorry for putting it in that way, get me corrected if i am wrong again. any kind of help is appreciated.

Piyushagg said:
I was thinking that net force is suppose to be zero in a closed loop in uniform magnetic field but torque is mostly non zero so if torque increases then force increases that's what i thought, sorry for putting it in that way, get me corrected if i am wrong again. any kind of help is appreciated.
You are correct in saying that the net force is zero in this case, but you misunderstood the question. If you place a flexible limp loop in a uniform magnetic field and run a current through it, equilibrium will be reached when the loop forms a circle with its plane perpendicular to the magnetic field. In this configuration the net torque and the net force on the loop will be zero. However, each arc segment ds on the loop will experience a magnetic force I ds B directed radially out. This will put the wire loop under tension T which is what this question is about.

kuruman said:
equilibrium will be reached when the loop forms a circle with its plane perpendicular to the magnetic field
Right, but I note this in the OP:
cheapstrike said:
Assuming B to be inside plane of paper
which seems to be saying the field is perpendicular to the axis of the loop. I assume the OP is wrong on that.

haruspex said:
I assume the OP is wrong on that.
I would assume so too. OP mentions next
cheapstrike said:
The way I am looking at the problem is that because the loop is flexible its area will increase and because of the increase in area that total flux passing through the loop will also increase.
If OP is considering flux through the loop then we have a contradiction.

kuruman said:
I would assume so too. OP mentions next

If OP is considering flux through the loop then we have a contradiction.
Yeah, I mixed up between flexible and elastic. I at first thought that the loop will go on increasing in radius, causing change in flux, till the net current becomes zero.

cheapstrike said:
Yeah, I mixed up between flexible and elastic. I at first thought that the loop will go on increasing in radius, causing change in flux, till the net current becomes zero.
Sure, but there was another mix-up. You wrote that you assumed "B to be inside plane of paper", i.e. the field is parallel to the plane of the loop. I think it is clear that the field is perpendicular to that plane, i.e. parallel to the axis of the loop.

haruspex said:
Sure, but there was another mix-up. You wrote that you assumed "B to be inside plane of paper", i.e. the field is parallel to the plane of the loop. I think it is clear that the field is perpendicular to that plane, i.e. parallel to the axis of the loop.
Wait.. lol
I also assumed the loop to be in the plane of paper with its axis perpendicular to the plane of paper and B parallel to the axis of the loop. Like generally we draw a loop on paper and take B inside it's plane (x).

cheapstrike said:
I also assumed the loop to be in the plane of paper with its axis perpendicular to the plane of paper
Yes, i assumed you were taking the loop to lie in the plane of the page.
cheapstrike said:
and B parallel to the axis of the loop.
Yes, I believe that is the set-up in this question.
cheapstrike said:
generally we draw a loop on paper and take B inside it's plane (x).
That's different. That says the field is parallel to the page. Do you mean into the page?

Likes cheapstrike
haruspex said:
Yes, i assumed you were taking the loop to lie in the plane of the page.

Yes, I believe that is the set-up in this question.

That's different. That says the field is parallel to the page. Do you mean into the page?
Yes, into :D

@haruspex , @kuruman If the current flows in anticlockwise direction (instead of clockwise as in the OP ) and magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the page , the direction of force on any infinitesimal portion of the wire will be radially inwards .

Would the force on this tiny element from the neighbouring wire element be exactly opposite to the one shown in post#11 ?

But this force doesn't look like some tension force . Is it some type of compressive force ?

But magnitude of this force will still be BIR just as in the OP .Right ?

Jahnavi said:
But this force doesn't look like some tension force . Is it some type of compressive force ?

But magnitude of this force will still be BIR just as in the OP .Right ?
Yes.

Jahnavi said:
Would the force on this tiny element from the neighbouring wire element be exactly opposite to the one shown in post#11 ?

@haruspex ,please reply this .Is the direction of force from the neighbouring elements exactly opposite to the one shown in the diagram in post#11 ?

Last edited:
Yes, it will be opposite. If ##d\vec F = I d\vec l \times \vec B##, then ## I d (-\vec l) \times \vec B = -d \vec F##.

I am not asking about the direction of force on the tiny wire element by the magnetic field :smile:

I am asking about the direction of force on the infinitesimal length element from the neighbouring elements . Just like in post#11 you showed the two forces by ##T## .

My question is that if an anticlockwise current flows then the direction of force would be exactly opposite to the one showed by two ##T##'s in post#11 ?