Tension in rod of a bicycle wheel skewer

In summary, the locking mechanism of a bike skewer consists of a rod and slightly out of round disk on one side attached to the skewer, with a handle attached to the out of round disk. Assuming the skewer is nearly snug with the wheel fork, I think the tension is going to be a function of the distance between the centerline of the disk where it is connected to the skewer and the position of the handle which is related to the disks arc length relative to the unlocked position. Do you have a question?
Inventive
The locking mechanism of a bike skewer consists of a rod and slightly out of round disk on one side attached to the skewer. A handle is attached to the out of round disk as well Assuming the skewer is nearly snug with the wheel fork, I think the tension is going to be a function of the distance between the centerline of the disk where it is connected to the skewer and the position of the handle which is related to the disks arc length relative to the unlocked position.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you provide another word for "skewer"? I don't think it's what you mean. (Spoke??)

sophiecentaur said:
Could you provide another word for "skewer"? I don't think it's what you mean. (Spoke??)
I believe that he is referring to the "quick release" mechanism on the axle where, for instance, the front wheel is attached to the fork.

The handle is perhaps 5 cm in length and 1 in breadth. It is attached to the "out of round disk" which is what I would have called a "cam". In my experience, the cam is hidden inside a somewhat larger than usual nut which is threaded onto one end of the axle. The handle is rotated 180 degrees between a released position and a tightened position where it holds by friction. In the released position, the wheel can be removed from the slots at the end of the fork. In the tightened position, the wheel is firmly affixed and the bicycle is ready to ride.

I would expect the skewer tension to roughly obey Hooke's law with tension directly proportional to the displacement forced by the cam from the position where the parts begin to bind. A slightly out of round cam will have a roughly sinusoidal variation in displacement as a function of handle position. So that will cause one departure from linearity. And I would not expect Hooke's law to be obeyed at all precisely.

Thanks for the help
How's this for a possibility
perhaps if i can come up with equation that is "close" in terms of its graph. Ie use a cosine based function where the right angular frequency will mimic the curve so that the bottom portion of functions graph is at the point where the tension begins. then integrate that function over an interval where the pressure is applied. My reasoning us that the cosine function is increasing over the interval 3pi/2 to 2pi and hence would cause an increase in the tension within the rod. if i knew the elastic properties of the rod as a fixed value then y=kx could be written with k being the spring constant and "x" being my cosine function in terms of angular change

1. What is the purpose of a bicycle wheel skewer?

The bicycle wheel skewer is used to secure the wheel onto the frame of the bike. It acts as a fastener, keeping the wheel in place while riding.

2. How does tension in the rod of a bicycle wheel skewer affect the performance of the bike?

Tension in the rod of a bicycle wheel skewer is important for maintaining the stability and alignment of the wheel. If the tension is too loose, the wheel may wobble or come off the frame while riding. If the tension is too tight, it may put unnecessary strain on the wheel, causing it to wear out faster.

3. How do I know if the tension in my bicycle wheel skewer is correct?

The ideal tension for a bicycle wheel skewer is when the lever is securely closed, but not overly tight. You should be able to close the lever with some resistance, but not have to use excessive force. You can also check the tension by gently shaking the wheel side to side - it should not move or rattle.

4. Can the tension in the rod of a bicycle wheel skewer be adjusted?

Yes, the tension in the rod of a bicycle wheel skewer can be adjusted. Most skewers have a nut on the end of the rod that can be turned to tighten or loosen the tension. It's important to make small adjustments and test the tension before making any major changes.

5. What happens if the tension in the rod of a bicycle wheel skewer is too loose or too tight?

If the tension in the rod of a bicycle wheel skewer is too loose, the wheel may become loose or even come off while riding, which can be dangerous. If the tension is too tight, it can put excessive strain on the wheel and lead to premature wear and tear. It's important to find the right balance of tension for optimal performance and safety.