Tension in Rope using Torque? Did I do this correctly?

In summary, tension in a rope is the force that keeps the rope taut and prevents it from breaking or becoming slack. It is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs) and can be calculated using a tension meter or by using the rope's length, material properties, and angle of pull. Torque, on the other hand, is the measure of rotational force and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation. Torque is related to tension in a rope as it is the twisting force that is created when a rope is pulled at both ends. To calculate the tension in a rope using torque, one must know the distance between the two points of pull, the force applied, and
kepherax
Homework Statement
A wooden beam is suspended as shown below. The beam has a mass of 25 kg and has a length as shown. A sign is of mass 10 kg is to suspended from the beam at a distance of 2/3 from the edge of the beam. What is the tension in the rope?
Relevant Equations
Torque = |F||d|sin angle or r x F
joe.JPG

I think I understand but just want to check if I did this correctly, or if there is more to it...

20191010_133502.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Where's the 'edge' of the beam ?

BvU said:
Where's the 'edge' of the beam ?

I set the pivot point to be where the beam meets the wall, the block on the left is the wall.

Your answer is fine.

Likes kepherax

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is exerted on the rope when it is pulled or stretched. It is a measure of the internal forces within the rope that keep it from breaking or becoming slack.

2. How is tension in a rope calculated?

Tension in a rope can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the rope, and L is the length of the rope. This assumes that the rope is uniform and is being pulled at a constant rate.

3. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

4. How is torque related to tension in a rope?

Torque and tension in a rope are directly related. When a rope is attached to a pivot point and pulled with a force, the tension in the rope creates a torque that causes the object to rotate around the pivot point. The greater the tension in the rope, the greater the torque applied to the object.

5. How can I ensure that I am calculating tension in a rope using torque correctly?

To ensure that you are calculating tension in a rope using torque correctly, make sure that you are using the correct formula and that you are measuring the correct distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. It is also important to ensure that the rope is uniform and that the force is being applied at a constant rate.