1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension, Linear Mass Density, and transverse waves

1. Feb 6, 2009 #1
    Not 100% sure if this is supposed to be in Math or Physics...Admin please move if it is wrong...?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long string under tension t having linear mass density u1 is tied to a second string with linear mass density u2 << u1. Transverse waves on the heavey string are incident on the junction. Find what happens to them.

2. Relevant equations

I don't know :(

3. The attempt at a solution

I do know tht when a wave goes through something with a different mass density, it changes the wave speed, but the frequency and amplitude stay the same, but that is all I really understand (and I am not even 100% on that). I think I may just be over thinking the problem, so any direction to start would be awesome.

I know i have been asking a lot of questions, but I don't have a pre-req for this class, so I am trying to learn as I go...and sometimes and getting lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

This is a 1-D wave scattering problem. You must apply two continuity conditions at the junction: continuity of displacement and continuity of positional derivative of displacement. Or, your book may have some formula that you simply plug into, which is a lot less work.

EDIT: sorry, I don't think that is the point of the problem question. Ignore the above.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook