1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of rope attached to basket

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two lengths of rope, one 30cm long and the other 40cm long, are attached to a
    ceiling at a distance of 50cm apart. The other ends of the rope are joined together
    and attached to a basket weighing 2kg which hangs freely. Determine the tension in
    each rope. (The acceleration due to gravity should be taken as g = 9.8m/s2.)

So it makes a triangular shape. The question needs to be done as an application of a vector but I was sick on the day it was covered in the lecture and never got to make up for it so I am not really sure were to go.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• q1.JPG
      File size:
      7.6 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    this is a static problem. There is no acceleration. so the sum of Force in the Y and in the X direction should cancel eacher other out and equal zero. Go from there. What are the vectorial components of force? How can you relate that to your total net force?
  4. Apr 14, 2007 #3
    Another important question, how do you find the hight on this type of triangle. I think you should be able to figure it out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?