What's the Tension When One String Breaks? 0.25-2mg

In summary: Moment of Inertia is (m*L^2)/3, then again I'm stucking with equation which leads to an answer with L, and it's no good enough for... me.No, using the equation of torque=I*alpha is not legal. Torque is a vector quantity, and multiplying by a scalar will not produce the desired result. You would need to use the equation of torque=F*r to get the correct result.
dannee

Homework Statement

Rod with mass m depends on the two wires are ideal for the same length. Wires connected at the end of the rod. What is the tension in one of the wires as soon as the second string broke?

Homework Equations

question options are:
0.25mg
03.mg
0.5mg
1mg
2mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, dannee, welcome to Physics Forums!

Forum rules require that you list what you think might be the relevant equations, and that you make some attempt at a solution, before we can provide asssistance. Do you have any thoughts on this problem?

PhanthomJay said:
Hi, dannee, welcome to Physics Forums!

Forum rules require that you list what you think might be the relevant equations, and that you make some attempt at a solution, before we can provide asssistance. Do you have any thoughts on this problem?

hey jay, first thank you very much for welcoming.

this problem at first looked quite easy, it's clear that before the broke each tension of wire is equel to 0.5mg. now i guess that after broke the rod is starting a circular motion, but i find it hard to relate it to the tension force. thanks in advance for any help !

dannee said:
hey jay, first thank you very much for welcoming.

this problem at first looked quite easy, it's clear that before the broke each tension of wire is equel to 0.5mg. now i guess that after broke the rod is starting a circular motion, but i find it hard to relate it to the tension force. thanks in advance for any help !
Yes, after one of the string breaks, the rod accelerates due to the unbalanced torque acting about the pivot. What is the initial net torque about that pivot, and what equations are you familiar with that relates torque and acceleration?

i know that the torque of rod is ML^2/12, which leads to kinetic energy of 0.5iw^2,
i've tried to compre kinetic energy at the potenital energy, but i figured out that it's not a good idea as the rod keeps its speed even after it reaches the lowest point.

any ideas?

dannee said:
i know that the torque of rod is ML^2/12, which leads to kinetic energy of 0.5iw^2,
i've tried to compre kinetic energy at the potenital energy, but i figured out that it's not a good idea as the rod keeps its speed even after it reaches the lowest point.

any ideas?
You are confusing Torque with Moment of Inertia. The torque (or moment) of a force about a point is is equal to the product of the force times the perpendicular distance from the (cg of the ) force to that point. The Moment of Inertia of a thin rod that rotates about its end can be found with a web search.. Then you need to relate torque and I with the angular acceleration. And find the linear acceleration, and use Newton 2.

should i use r x F = I * a ?

it leaves me with a = equaltion with t, r and mg

but the answer should be only with mg

dannee said:
should i use r x F = I * a ?

it leaves me with a = equaltion with t, r and mg

but the answer should be only with mg
r, F, and I are known, solve for the angular acceleration, alpha. First list your expressions for Torque, I, and r.

PhanthomJay said:
r, F, and I are known, solve for the angular acceleration, alpha. First list your expressions for Torque, I, and r.

a=(r * F)/I

a=(mg-T)/(0.33*m*r)

i don't know how to go from here

dannee said:
a=(r * F)/I

a=(mg-T)/(0.33*m*r)

i don't know how to go from here
The equation is T= Iα, where α is the angular acceleration.

Let's go one step at a time. What is the torque about the pivot produced by the weight of the rod, assuming that its weight acts at the midpoint (center of gravity) of the rod? Express your answer in terms of m, g, and L, where L is the length of the rod. Remember that torque is force times perpendicular distance.

PhanthomJay said:
The equation is T= Iα, where α is the angular acceleration.

Let's go one step at a time. What is the torque about the pivot produced by the weight of the rod, assuming that its weight acts at the midpoint (center of gravity) of the rod? Express your answer in terms of m, g, and L, where L is the length of the rod. Remember that torque is force times perpendicular distance.

hey, thanks again for your help

when I used 'T' symbol i meant for the tendency, not torque :)

i'm still not so familiar with the subject.

is it legal to use the equal torque=I*alpha,torque=F*r -> F*r=I*alpha ?

Moment of Inertia is (m*L^2)/3, then again I'm stucking with equation which leads to an answer with L, and it's no good enough for solution.

Eeks, :eek: T for Torque, T for tension, t for time, and now T for 'Tendency"?

You must go by steps. You first need to find the Torque produced by the rod's weight. Again, what is the value of Torque that you find using Torque = Force times perpendicular distance (hint: the force is 'mg' and the perpendicular distance from the weight force from its center of gravity to the pivot is ____?

Torque = Force * (L/2)

dannee said:
Torque = Force * (L/2)
Yes, and what is the force in terms of m and g?

sum of force coordinate y: T(tension of wire)-mg

dannee said:
sum of force coordinate y: T(tension of wire)-mg
That is the sum of forces in the y direction, yes...you'll need this later...but first, you need to note the force which causes the torque (rotation) about the pivot point...that force, F, is just the weight of the rod...which is equal to ___? Then you get the torque, which is F times L/2 , and once you get the torque, solve for α, which is α = Torque/I, where I is ml^2/3. Thus, α = ___?

i think i got it, F=mg on the center of rod,
then: torque=mg*0.5L

then alpha = (0.5 * mg * L) / (0.5 * m * L^2)

means alpha = (1/L)

where do i go from here?

dannee said:
i think i got it, F=mg on the center of rod,
then: torque=mg*0.5L
Yes, correct!
then alpha = (0.5 * mg * L) / (0.5 * m * L^2)

means alpha = (1/L)
you are going too fast...
alpha = .5mgL/((mL^2)/3)
alpha = .5g/(L/3)
alpha = (g/2)/(L/3)
alpha = 3g/2L

You must watch your algebra, or all else is lost.
where do i go from here?
This problem is of a higher level than basic static problems. Be sure to master statics (Newton 1) before moving on to dynamics (Newton 2).
Now that you have alpha, the angular acceleration, you want to find the linear acceleration of the center of mass, so you can use it in Newton's 2nd Law using the net force you calculated earlier in the y direction. So do you knw the basic equation that converts angular acceleration , alpha, into linear acceleroation, a?

that's a formula which i familiar with. alpha = a/r, means:

3g/2L = a/L, a= 3g/2

now i go back to coordinate y: tension-mg=ma, tension=m(g+a), tension=m*2.5g

but i think I've missed something again as the answer is 0.25mg ?

many many thanks for the help !

You have missed 2 things...first, in your calculation for 'r', you used 'L'...but you are looking for the acceleration of the center of mass, which is not L units away at the tip, but rather______??

And second, the acceleration is initially vertically down, so which is greater, the tension in the rod or the weight of the rod??

sure, force works on the center of mass therefore r=0.5L

linear acceleration is with minus sign since it gets the rod down,
means: T=m(g-a)
a = alpha * 0.5L = 0.75g
then T=0.25g

wow, you have no idea how grateful i am, and i actually understand the subject better now.
thanks !

Great, this problem was not the most difficult of problems, but it certainly wasn't the easiest! I am glad you have a better understanding.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is applied to an object, causing it to stretch or deform.

What is the tension when one string breaks?

The tension when one string breaks depends on various factors, such as the type and thickness of the string, the material it is made of, and the force applied to it. It can range from 0.25mg to 2mg.

Why does the tension change when a string breaks?

When a string breaks, the tension is no longer being distributed evenly along the string. This causes the remaining portion of the string to experience a sudden increase in tension, which can result in it also breaking.

How does the tension affect the sound produced by a string instrument?

The tension of a string directly affects its pitch and sound quality. Higher tension typically results in a higher pitch and louder sound, while lower tension produces a lower pitch and softer sound.

What are some factors that can impact the tension of a string?

The tension of a string can be affected by its length, thickness, material, and the force applied to it. Temperature and humidity can also play a role in altering the tension of a string.