What is the Correct Angle θ in a Traction Setup with a Pulley System?

• Thread starter Minusu
  • Start date
In summary, an accident victim with a broken leg is being placed in traction by having a special boot with a pulley attached to the sole and a m=6.9kg mass hanging from the rope. The foot and boot together have a mass of 4.0 kg. By using the equations Fnet=ma and Fnety=Tpicos∅+Tp2cosθ-Fgw, the angle θ is found to be approximately 60.3 degrees. However, this does not take into account the vertical force from the bed at the hip, which would affect the weight distribution along the leg.
Minusu

Homework Statement

An accident victim with a broken leg is being placed in traction. The patient wears a special boot with a pulley attached to the sole. The foot and boot together have a mass of 4.0 kg, and the doctor has decided to hang a m = 6.9kg mass from the rope. The boot is held suspended by the ropes and does not touch the bed. Find the angle θ.

Fgw(force of gravity on weight)= 68N
m1(mass of foot and boot=4kg
∅= 17 degrees

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fnety=Tpicos∅+Tp2cosθ-Fgw

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find for the angle between the top rope and horizontal by doing the following;
Fnety=Tp1cos∅+Tp2cos-Fgw
Fnety=0
68/68cos17=Tp2cosθ
Fnetx=0
Fnetx=Tp1sin∅+Tp2sinθ=0
Tp2=Tp1sin∅/sinθ
Plug tp2 into first equation
68/68cos17=(68sin17/sinθ)*cosθ
θ=36.501 degrees
I'm not sure if this makes sense though and then a later part of the question asks, "what is the traction force?" and it states that the traction force must be pulling outward. Help please! http://puu.sh/4F63M.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Minusu! :smile:
Minusu said:
Fnety=Tp1cos∅+Tp2cos-Fgw
Fnety=0

No: you have to decide which body you're adding the forces on.

In this case, it's the forces on the boot (whose y components have to add to zero) …

there are only two forces on the boot! :wink:

Would these two forces be the Fg on the boot and the tension of the ropes?
So Fnety=-Fgboot+tp1cos∅+tp2cosθ=0
39.2-68cos17/tp2=cosθ

And then solve for the x direction so
Fnetx=Tp1sin17+tp2sinθ=0
68sin17/sinθ=tp2

Plug into first

39.2-68cos17/68sin17=tanθ
θ=52.4

Hi Minusu! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
Minusu said:
… a later part of the question asks, "what is the traction force?" and it states that the traction force must be pulling outward. … http://puu.sh/4F63M.png

hmm … I've read the question again, more carefully, and i don't understand how that is compatible with "The boot is held suspended by the ropes and does not touch the bed." :confused:

if the net traction force (ie the resultant of the two tension forces) is horizontal, then there's nothing to hold the boot up

i suggest you try ignoring "does not touch the bed", and see if the computer accepts the answer that gives you

so just solve for the angles needed for the resultant of the two tensions to be horizontal :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Minusu said:
So Fnety=-Fgboot+tp1cos∅+tp2cosθ=0
Think again about the vertical components of the tensions.

tiny-tim said:
, and i don't understand how that is compatible with "The boot is held suspended by the ropes and does not touch the bed." :confused:
I don't see the difficulty. The upper part of the leg is to be taken as a horizontal weightless string. The patient touches the bed, of course.

Thanks for all the help. I just solved for the angle. The tension in Tp1 and Tp2 is the same, so Fnety=Tp1sin∅+Tp2sinθ-Fg
Fnety=0
0=68sin17+68sinθ-39.2
(39.2+68sin17)/68=sinθ
.868=sinθ
θ=sin^-1(.868)
θ=60.3 degrees.

Minusu said:
Thanks for all the help. I just solved for the angle. The tension in Tp1 and Tp2 is the same, so Fnety=Tp1sin∅+Tp2sinθ-Fg
Fnety=0
0=68sin17+68sinθ-39.2
(39.2+68sin17)/68=sinθ
.868=sinθ
θ=sin^-1(.868)
θ=60.3 degrees.
Looks good. Of course, strictly speaking, the leg is a rod with weight distributed along it. There will be a vertical force from the bed at the hip, so not all of the weight of the leg will be taken by the ropes. However, I don't think you have enough information to take that into account.

1. What is the Tension/Traction problem?

The Tension/Traction problem, also known as the Tension/Compression problem, is a common issue in materials science and engineering where an object experiences forces pulling or pushing in opposite directions, causing it to deform or break. This problem is also relevant in fields such as biomechanics and geology.

2. What causes the Tension/Traction problem?

The Tension/Traction problem can be caused by various factors, including external forces, structural weaknesses, and material properties. For example, a bridge may experience tension and compression forces due to the weight of vehicles passing over it, as well as wind and seismic activity.

3. How is the Tension/Traction problem solved?

The Tension/Traction problem can be solved through careful analysis and design of structures. Engineers use mathematical models and simulations to determine the maximum forces that an object can withstand before it reaches its breaking point. This information is then used to select appropriate materials and design structures that can withstand the expected tension and compression forces.

4. What are the consequences of the Tension/Traction problem?

If the Tension/Traction problem is not properly addressed, it can lead to structural failure and potentially dangerous situations. For example, a building or bridge that is not designed to withstand strong wind forces may collapse during a storm. In addition, the Tension/Traction problem can also cause damage to materials, resulting in costly repairs or replacements.

5. How is the Tension/Traction problem studied?

Scientists and engineers study the Tension/Traction problem through experiments, computer simulations, and mathematical analysis. They use specialized equipment to measure and analyze the forces acting on objects, as well as the resulting deformations. This research helps to improve our understanding of the Tension/Traction problem and develop better solutions to prevent or mitigate its effects.