Tension woes simple mass problem

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving calculating the magnitude of tension in a string holding up a sign. The problem involves using equations and trigonometry to determine the values of T1 and T2. The person asking for help is struggling with the problem and is looking for advice on how to better understand the material. They also mention that they did poorly on a previous exam and need help before it's too late.
veitch
I thought I had this stuff figured out, but my answer is wrong. Any tips?
Thanks

Homework Statement

A sign hangs precariously from your prof's office door. Calculate the magnitude of the tension in string 1 if theta-1 = 26.10degrees, theta-2 = 54.87degrees, and the mass of the sign is 6.50 kg.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1089/prob05signly6.th.gif http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = T1x - T2x = 0
[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy = T1y + T2y - Fg = 0
Fg = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

X components:

T1x = T1 Cos 26.1
T2x = T2 Cos 54.87

Y components:

T1y = T1 Sin 26.1
T2y = T2 Sin 54.87

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fx = T1Cos 26.1 - T2Cos 54.87 = 0
So...
T1Cos 26.1 = T2Cos 54.87
T1 = T2(Cos 54.87/Cos 26.1)

and

[tex]\sum[/tex]F = T1Sin 26.1 + T2 Sin 54.87 = (6.5 kg)(9.8 m/s2)

Then I tried plugging that T1 in there...

T2(Cos 54.87/Cos 26.1)Sin 26.1 + T2Sin 54.87 = 24.7 N
T2(0.6408)Sin 26.1 + T2Sin 54.87 = 24.7 N
T2(0.2819) + T2(0.8178) = 24.7 N
T2(0.2819 + 0.8178) = 24.7 N
T2 = 22.5 N

I can't attempt any more solutions as the assignment was due 20 minutes ago (it's online)... but I did poorly on my midterm yesterday so I really need to get a better understand of the material before it's too late... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
veitch said:
[tex]\sum[/tex]F = T1Sin 26.1 + T2 Sin 54.87 = (6.5 kg)(9.8 m/s2)

Then I tried plugging that T1 in there...

T2(Cos 54.87/Cos 26.1)Sin 26.1 + T2Sin 54.87 = 24.7 N
Your method looks fine, just be careful with the arithmetic: 6.5*9.8 ≠ 24.7.

I understand your frustration with getting the wrong answer. It's important to remember that science is all about trial and error, and making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. My advice would be to go back and review the problem, making sure you understand all the concepts and equations involved. Sometimes, a small mistake in calculation or a misunderstanding of a concept can lead to an incorrect answer. It may also be helpful to work through similar problems to get a better grasp on the material. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your professor or classmates if you're still struggling. With practice and perseverance, I'm sure you'll master this material in no time. Keep up the hard work!

FAQ: Tension woes simple mass problem

What is tension and how does it relate to simple mass problems?

Tension is a force that is created when there is a pull on an object. In simple mass problems, tension is often used to represent the force acting on an object due to a string or rope that is attached to it.

What is the equation for calculating tension in a simple mass problem?

The equation for calculating tension in a simple mass problem is T = mg, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of a string or rope affect the tension in a simple mass problem?

The angle of a string or rope can affect the tension in a simple mass problem by changing the direction of the force. The greater the angle, the less tension there will be in the string or rope.

Can tension be negative in a simple mass problem?

No, tension cannot be negative in a simple mass problem. Tension is always a positive force that acts in the opposite direction of gravity.

What are some real-life examples of tension in simple mass problems?

Some real-life examples of tension in simple mass problems include a weight hanging from a string, a person pulling a sled with a rope, or a balloon being held down by a string.

Back