Ternary expansion of fractions like 5/3³

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jakey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expansion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
jakey
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I'd like to ask about ternary expansions. they seem easy but I'm having a hard time doing this as well as searching for tips online, specifically for [tex]x \in [0,1][/tex].

I know that ternary expansions are similar to decimal expansions but for example, how do you find the ternary expansion of [tex]\frac{5}{3^3}[/tex] ?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In base 3, 5= 3+2 is [itex]12_5[/itex]. Of course, [itex]9= 3^2[/itex] is [itex]200_3[/itex] so the fraction 5/9, in base 3, would be the fraction [itex]12/200[/itex]. Can you write that in "trinary"?
 
Hi hallsofivy, sorry I didnt quite understand your reply.

And oh, it's 5/27 not 5/9. Perhaps a better way of explaining it to me would be how to identify the coefficients [tex]a_k[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{5}{27} = \sum \frac{a_k}{3^k}[/tex] ?