Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tesla: The New Wizard

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    Googling for something else I ran across this feature article on Tesla from 1899:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/forgottenfutures/tesla/tesla.htm

I've read other similar accounts of visits to his lab quoted in biographies of him, and he included similar dazzling displays of high frequency AC effects in his public lectures.

This ball of flame is not the chemical flame produced by magicians but is some high frequency/high voltage AC effect Tesla discovered in the course of his experiments. It is probably the same phenomenon as ball lightning, and Tesla is the only man I've ever heard of who was able to reproduce this in the lab. I don't know if he, himself, was familiar with reports of naturally occuring ball lightning, and I suspect this effect was something he discovered by accident while experimenting toward other goals.

Like the ball of flame, this sourceless illumination is another high frequency/high voltage AC effect. I suspect that the shutters "as tight as a vice" are probably also air tight and that he is causing the ambient air in the lab to glow with the discharge from an unseen tesla coil at the right frequency.

After next turning himself into "electric man," an effect that alot of people with large tesla coils have been able to reproduce, he goes on to talk about half developed inventions: solar steam power, wireless transmission of electricity, a telephone that sent what we would now call a "video" image along with voice (he was very close to the idea of television - in 1899!), and a machine for electrically fertilizing soil. (I don't believe he completed and patented any of these ideas except the elements of the wireless transmission of electricity. It's a pity he didn't persue the rather basic, obviously workable, solar steam generator. With his post-Niagra credibility he could have gotten large scale versions of it into operation and we might be using refinements of them today.)

The article is a very good, typical, picture of Tesla: half magician, half Utopian dreamer. He was constantly spurred by the notion that invention could lead to a world without want or war.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2006 #2
    Tesla was the Mad-Scientist.

Amazing man though, really.

4. Oct 27, 2006 #3

taylaron

Gold Member

5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    I actually just got back from a movie with him in it. " The Prestige". It was actually a very good movie about magicians and rivalry etc.

6. Oct 28, 2006 #5
    I had to google:

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809267303/details

[​IMG]

And DAVID BOWIE as Tesla?

7. Oct 29, 2006 #6
    The world needs more people like Tesla

For just the radio, and AC, he should be more well known, plus all the other positive trials (he DID have some goofy ideas--looking at them from OUR hindsight)

8. Oct 29, 2006 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We honor Nicola Tesla in many ways. The International System of Units (IS) established the Tesla as a standard unit of magnetic flux density. All my magnetic field data in my graduate research were recorded in microTesla ([itex]\mu[/itex]T).

9. Nov 7, 2006 #8

taylaron

Gold Member

BUT HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN BALL LIGHTNING?!?!?
    dispite the ludicricy that was tesla.

charging the air seems rathar interesting.

10. Nov 10, 2006 #9
    Also a bit of an aside -- there is a new "multimedia opera" called "Violet Fire" about Tesla:
    http://www.violetfireopera.com/

Hopefully coming soon to an opera house near me. Can I have ball lightening effects please?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?