Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

So I only recently discovered Nikola Tesla and the unfinished project

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    So I only recently discovered Nikola Tesla and the unfinished project of Wardenclyffe -

It's apparent purpose was not only to transfer electrical signals wirelessly, but also Tesla claimed it had the potential to supply limitless energy everywhere around the world?

Is there any truth to that fact?

If he believed it could then, from the creator of AC power, it probably could - no?

And how was it supposed to that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Re: Wardenclyffe

Your question assumes he was correct about this, assumes the mechanism is known, and assumes that for some inexplicable reason, we haven't adopted it.

Does this make any sense?

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3

I know where you're coming from, and it has been suggested that because the project was scrapped by the fund supplier the mechanism was never properly utilized and remained largely int he mind of Telsa.

I don't doubt that if he was certain it would work, then it would. The guy was arguably the greatest scientist ever, judging from my knowledge gathered from a ten minute YouTube clip and a brief reading of a Wikipedia entry. He fathered scalar energy, alternate current, robotics, wireless technology, radar etc.

5. Dec 4, 2011 #4

Tesla certainly did make significant contributions, but his popularity with the general public is probably more attributable to his eccentricity than anything else. He is probably most recognized for the invention of the AC induction motor. But even that is argued by some, since there were others working on it at the same time he was. I would certainly not consider him the greatest scientist ever. But I think he would be a good contender for scientist with the greatest imagination.

6. Dec 4, 2011 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And let me remind everyone here that we do not discuss conspiracy theories here. If this thread devolves into "his secrets were suppressed by the monied interests" (or the Freemasons, or the Moose Lodge, or the Little Rascals), the thread will be closed very quickly!

7. Dec 4, 2011 #6

Who are the Little Rascals?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook