Test charge in electric and magnetic field

In summary, a proton placed at the origin will initially be at rest. The initial electric and magnetic forces on the proton will be zero since its velocity is also zero. However, as soon as the proton starts to move, the magnetic force will become non-zero and the proton will initially accelerate in the direction of the electric field and then turn along the X axis. The magnetic force will always be orthogonal to both the magnetic field and the velocity, and the charge can never move above the X axis. Eventually, the magnetic force will become equal and opposite to the electric force, causing the charge to stop accelerating and have a velocity along the X axis with a negative Y position.
FireStorm000
Consider an proton placed at the origin; a uniform electric field exists along the Y axis, and a uniform magnetic field along the Z axis. In what direction does the proton accelerate? My intuition is that it accelerates along the X axis, normal to both fields, but I'm not sure. Can anyone derive a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Placed at the origin" implies to me that the proton is initially at rest.

In what directions are the initial electric, magnetic and net forces on the proton?

What happens after the proton starts to move (how do the forces change)?

jtbell said:
"Placed at the origin" implies to me that the proton is initially at rest.

In what directions are the initial electric, magnetic and net forces on the proton?

What happens after the proton starts to move (how do the forces change)?

Well initially velocity is zero, so the magnetic force is also zero. But as soon as it starts moving, the magnetic force is nonzero, so I'm not sure. I guess it should initially accelerate in the direction of the E field, then turn along the X axis.

Edit: To clarify, Force due to the E field will always be down(-Y), and Magnetic Force will be orthogonal to both B and V, as per the RHR
Additionally, because the B field can't do work, the charge can never move above the X axis, and velocity will be a function of it's Y position.

And... I guess I answered my own question. There will be an asymtote such that Magnetic force is equal and opposite electric force, and the charge stops accelerating, with velocity along the X axis, and a negative Y position.

Last edited:

What is a test charge and why is it used in electric and magnetic fields?

A test charge is a small, positively charged particle that is used to measure the strength and direction of electric and magnetic fields. It is used because it experiences a force when placed in these fields, allowing us to study and understand the properties of these fields.

How is the test charge related to the concept of electric and magnetic fields?

The test charge is directly related to the concept of electric and magnetic fields as it is used to measure the strength and direction of these fields. The force experienced by the test charge is directly proportional to the strength of the electric or magnetic field.

What is the significance of the direction of the test charge's motion in an electric or magnetic field?

The direction of the test charge's motion in an electric or magnetic field provides information about the direction of the field itself. For example, if the test charge moves in a circular path, we can determine that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of motion.

Can a test charge be used to measure the strength of any electric or magnetic field?

Yes, a test charge can be used to measure the strength of any electric or magnetic field. However, the size of the test charge and the distance from the field source may affect the accuracy of the measurement.

How is a test charge different from an actual charge in an electric or magnetic field?

A test charge is typically much smaller than an actual charge and is used solely for measurement purposes. An actual charge can have an impact on the electric or magnetic field itself, while a test charge is assumed to have a negligible effect on the field.