1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Test rig calculations - motor requirements

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm designing a tyre test rig for a university project to measure camber, slip angle etc.

An example of a test rig - http://www.ika.rwth-aachen.de/forschung/veroeffentlichung/1999/30.06.-02.07/im173g.gif [Broken]
    Although my test rig will be for an RC car tyres, so not quite the same size...

The tyre will be connected to a motor which will induce deceleration (as a generator) or acceleration and i'm trying to figure out how I would be able to work out or what parameters I would need to determine the torque required by the motor.

My idea is that the motor will need to overcome the force induced by the rolling road (in this experiment it will be a belt sander)

Any kind of feedback or help will be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you will have to experiment. eg fix a wheel to a lever arm and hang weights off the arm until the wheel slips. Torque = force times distance etc.

For the power...

Power = torque * angular velocity

You can work out the angular velocity of the wheel if you know the speed of the belt sander and the wheel circumference.

Should give a reasonable starting point I would think. Perhaps double up the figures for power and torque to give some flexibility?

Expect to wear out a few tyres!

The rig will need to be able to adjust the pressure the wheel puts on the sander. Ditto during your lever arm experiment to measure the likely torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted