Testing Convergence/Divergence of Series

In summary: I have a few doubts/questions:1) I conclude that the requirement of having the absolute value sign on x is due to x > 0 in the original problem. In that case, the absolute value sign should appear as from the first line in post #5, as |x^n|, and in the second line, as |x^{n+1}|. Correct?Yes, that's correct. The absolute value sign is important because it ensures that the ratio will always be positive, regardless of the value of x.2) Instead of \frac{1}{3}|x|, could i have alternatively given the answer as \frac{1}{3}x,\; x>0? This should mean the same thing.
[tex](1/4)^n≤(1/4)(2/7)(3/10)...(n/(3n+1))<1/3[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not what's missing. The inequality was fine with <.

Well, in post #34, i already multiplied throughout by [itex]3^n[/itex]. I'm not sure what else is missing.

Did you mean rewriting the inequality into this form?
[tex](1/4)^n<\frac{n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<1/3[/tex]

No, you off on the wrong track. Isn't there something glaringly different between your lower bound and upper bound for the product of the fractions?

Mark44 said:
No, you off on the wrong track. Isn't there something glaringly different between your lower bound and upper bound for the product of the fractions?
Really, i have no idea.

Let me make it simpler for you. Here are your lower and upper bounds. Don't you notice something very different about them?

sharks said:
[tex](1/4)^n< \text{snip}<1/3[/tex]

Do you mean that the lower bound is raised to the power of n? I guess i could eliminate that power, since the limit converges either way.
[tex]1/4<\frac{n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<1/3[/tex]

sharks said:
Do you mean that the lower bound is raised to the power of n?
Yes, I mean exactly that.
sharks said:
I guess i could eliminate that power
Why would you do that? Don't you remember why you put it in there?

The question is, why isn't there an exponent on the other side of the inequality? Each fraction is strictly less than 1/3, so the product of those n fractions will be < _______?
sharks said:
, since the limit converges either way.
[tex]1/4<\frac{n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<1/3[/tex]

You keep taking the limit before you get the correct answers to the previous steps. IOW, you keep jumping the gun, and coming up with limit values that are bogus and have nothing to do with this problem.

After you get the correct lower and upper bounds, then multiply all three members by 3n. Finally, take the limit.

This has to be it:[tex](1/4)^n<\frac{n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<(1/3)^n[/tex]
I'll wait for confirmation before finding the limits.

Last edited:
Bingo.
sharks said:
This has to be it:[tex](1/4)^n<\frac{n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<(1/3)^n[/tex]
I'll wait for confirmation before finding the limits.
So the following is also true.
$$(1/4)^n 3^n<\frac{3^n n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<(1/3)^n 3^n$$

Since the inequality is true for each n >= 1, it's true in the limit as n --> ∞.
What do you conclude from this?

The inequality reduces to:
[tex](3/4)^n<\frac{3^n n!}{4.7.10...(3n+1)}<(1)^n[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}(3/4)^n=0[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\to \infty}(1)^n=1[/tex]
I would use the sandwich theorem to find the limit of the middle term in the inequality, but the limits of the lower and upper bounds are different, so i don't think that the sandwich theorem applies in this case.

Since ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{3^ n!}{4\cdot 7 \cdot 10 \cdot \cdot \cdot (3n + 1)} > 0##, (in other words, it's not equal to 0), then by the n-th term test, the series diverges when x = 3.

Well, it's been a long journey with this one. I believe we have finally reached an agreeable conclusion.

As for the answer to this problem, i believe we dug deep into it and fleshed it out completely, but the actual answer (this past-exam question is only worth 5 points) relates to x>0, and by that, i assume it suggests x>>0, which would be x>3, therefore the series diverges.

Thank you for your infinite patience, Mark44. As always, your help is much appreciated.

We already know that for x > 3, the series diverges. The concern for the past 20 or so posts has been what happens at x = 3, and this is what we found out. This allows us to write the interval of convergence as (0, 3), and not (0, 3].

And the interval of divergence is [3,∞)

Thanks again.