Testing of population variance

In summary, a post office experimented with a single, main waiting line and found that for a random sample of 25 customers, the waiting times for customers had a standard deviation of 3.5 minutes. With a significance level of 5%, the claim was tested that a single line causes lower variation among waiting times for customers. The chi-square test value was calculated to be 5.67, but the chi-square critical value at α = 0.05 and v = 24 is 36.415. Therefore, there is not enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis, which states that the standard deviation for normally distributed waiting times is 7.2 minutes.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

with an individual lines at its various windows , a post office finds that the standard deviation for normally distributed waiting times for customers on Friday afternoon is 7.2 minutes . The post office expreiemets with a single, main waiting line and finds that for a random sample of 25 customers, the waiting times for customers have a standard deviation of 3.5 minutes.with a significance level of 5% , test the claim that a single line cause lower variation among waiting times for customers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my chi square test value = 5.67 , but teh chi sqaure critical at α = 0.05 and v = 24 is 36.415 , i do n't have enough evidenvce to reject H0 ,
H0 = 7.2
H1= <7.2 ,

But the ans provided is REJECT H0 , why ?

I think the ans provided is incorrect , correct me if i am wrong .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by H0 = 7.2? If the question is "Can we say that there is significant improvement...?" then surely H0 = 0 (i.e. difference between means = 0 quintals).
I'm not sure what you've been doing, but I don't think chi-square is the right test for this. Try a t-test.

Likes tzx9633
mjc123 said:
What do you mean by H0 = 7.2? If the question is "Can we say that there is significant improvement...?" then surely H0 = 0 (i.e. difference between means = 0 quintals).
I'm not sure what you've been doing, but I don't think chi-square is the right test for this. Try a t-test.
question edited , refer back

And the question is...?

Likes tzx9633
mjc123 said:
And the question is...?
with a significance level of 5% , test the claim that a single line cause lower variation among waiting times for customers

Please don't edit your original post like that - it makes my posts meaningless to anyone else reading the thread. To make a significant correction like yours you should put it in a new post.
I still don't understand what you're doing with the chi-squared. This looks like a case for an F-test.

tzx9633 said:

Homework Statement

with an individual lines at its various windows , a post office finds that the standard deviation for normally distributed waiting times for customers on Friday afternoon is 7.2 minutes . The post office expreiemets with a single, main waiting line and finds that for a random sample of 25 customers, the waiting times for customers have a standard deviation of 3.5 minutes.with a significance level of 5% , test the claim that a single line cause lower variation among waiting times for customers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my chi square test value = 5.67 , but teh chi sqaure critical at α = 0.05 and v = 24 is 36.415 , i do n't have enough evidenvce to reject H0 ,
H0 = 7.2
H1= <7.2 ,

But the ans provided is REJECT H0 , why ?

I think the ans provided is incorrect , correct me if i am wrong .

You are wrong, but I cannot tell why because you do not give enough details.

(1) Your H0 and H1 are correct; you are correct in trying to use the ch-squared distribution.
(2) Exactly how did you compute your so-called "chi-squared" value? I cannot get a number like your 5.67.
(3) Exactly what test did you perform? Just saying "chi-square" without giving formulas is no help at all.
(4) I get that H0 is strongly rejected---about as strongly rejected as anything I have ever seen in my life, so strongly rejected as to be virtually impossible.

Likes tzx9633
Shouldn't this be an F-test for equality of variances? Where does the ##\chi^2 ## come from?

WWGD said:
Shouldn't this be an F-test for equality of variances? Where does the ##\chi^2 ## come from?

The F-test is for comparing two sample variances. In the current problem, we are given the value of one variance exactly, as if it had infinitely many degrees of freedom (or that is the implication we are probably supposed to make). So the ratio involves ##F(24,\infty) = \chi^2(24).##

Likes tzx9633 and WWGD
Ah, yes, ANOVA, my bad.

Likes tzx9633
Ray Vickson said:
You are wrong, but I cannot tell why because you do not give enough details.

(1) Your H0 and H1 are correct; you are correct in trying to use the ch-squared distribution.
(2) Exactly how did you compute your so-called "chi-squared" value? I cannot get a number like your 5.67.
(3) Exactly what test did you perform? Just saying "chi-square" without giving formulas is no help at all.
(4) I get that H0 is strongly rejected---about as strongly rejected as anything I have ever seen in my life, so strongly rejected as to be virtually impossible.
Sorry , i have uploded an image so that the concept is more clear .. P/s : I have posted my working inside the photo (beside the formula)

Attachments

• IMG_20171130_085943.jpg
    IMG_20171130_085943.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 397
tzx9633 said:
Sorry , i have uploded an image so that the concept is more clear .. P/s : I have posted my working inside the photo (beside the formula)

I don't look at posted images; just type it out.

Likes tzx9633
Ray Vickson said:
I don't look at posted images; just type it out.

chi square test = (n-1)(sample standard deviation^2) / (population standard deviation ^2)
chi square test = (25-1)(3.5^2) / (7.2^2)= 5.67

tzx9633 said:
chi square test = (n-1)(sample standard deviation^2) / (population standard deviation ^2)
chi square test = (25-1)(3.5^2) / (7.2^2)= 5.67
OK, so then? What do you do next? What number related to the ##\chi^2(24)## do you use now? In post #1 you said you used 36.415. Why?

Likes tzx9633
Ray Vickson said:
OK, so then? What do you do next? What number related to the ##\chi^2(24)## do you use now?
As pointed out earlier , chi square value when α = 0.05 and v = 24 is 36.415 , but chi square test value = 5.67 , so we need to reject H0 when chi square test > chi square critical ...
So , my ans is do not reject Ho

Anything wrong with my answer ?

Look at the statement of your ##H_0, H_A##.

Likes tzx9633
huh
WWGD said:
Look at the statement of your ##H_0, H_A##.
nuh ?

tzx9633 said:
huh

nuh ?
Domani, mi amico , dovo sortire de la Starbucks adesso. Chi vediamo ( Chi parlamo domani)

WWGD said:
Domani, mi amico , dovo sortire de la Starbucks adesso. Chi vediamo ( Chi parlamo domani)
?

tzx9633 said:
As pointed out earlier , chi square value when α = 0.05 and v = 24 is 36.415 , but chi square test value = 5.67 , so we need to reject H0 when chi square test > chi square critical ...
So , my ans is do not reject Ho

Anything wrong with my answer ?

Yes, you are badly on the wrong track. However, I must leave it up to you to find your error; if I say any more I will be violating PF rules about giving away answers.

tzx9633 said:
?
So sorry for that, they were closing the coffee shop and it was intended for another forum.

Likes tzx9633
tzx9633 said:
huh

nuh ?
You could expand your statement of your initial-alternative hypotheses to include critical values, so that you have a "roadmap" for what you need to do in your problem. e.g.:

##H_0: \sigma =7.2 ##
## H_A: \sigma < 7.2 ## or ## \sigma \neq 7.2 ##
Test at the ##\alpha=0.05 ## level.
## \chi^2 ## test Critical value =36.451 .
This gives you a guideline. I know it is kind of a hassle and slows you down, but I think it is good that until you're not an expert, you do things this way. But it is ultimately up to you; just a suggestion.

Likes tzx9633
WWGD said:
You could expand your statement of your initial-alternative hypotheses to include critical values, so that you have a "roadmap" for what you need to do in your problem. e.g.:

##H_0: \sigma =7.2 ##
## H_A: \sigma < 7.2 ## or ## \sigma \neq 7.2 ##
Test at the ##\alpha=0.05 ## level.
## \chi^2 ## test Critical value =36.451 .
This gives you a guideline. I know it is kind of a hassle and slows you down, but I think it is good that until you're not an expert, you do things this way. But it is ultimately up to you; just a suggestion.
So , i shouldn't reject H0 , am i right ? if not , can you tell me why i am wrong ?

tzx9633 said:
So , i shouldn't reject H0 , am i right ? if not , can you tell me why i am wrong ?
Sorry, I cannot give you yes/no answers, it is against the Forum's policies, but, accepting/not accepting depends on comparing , as you described in a previous post, the critical value with the statistic you obtained-- also in a way you yourself described. EDIT: Informally, the question is: if the true population variance is 7.2 (and this variance has a specific distribution, described through the ##\chi^2 ## statistic you used) , is it likely, due to random variation alone, that I will obtain a sample variance will take the value 3.5? I mean, even if the true pop. variance is 7.2., it is likely that you sample variance will not be identical to 7.2., but, is the number you obtained within the "reasonable" values you are likely to obtain if the pop. variance was 7.2? This reasonability depends on the way your data is distributed.

Last edited:
tzx9633 said:

One more hint: when you ask if your ##\chi^2## is greater than 36.451 you are asking if the experimental data point to a significantly larger variance than the original ##7.2^2##. Aren't you supposed to be testing if the new variance is smaller than ##7.2^2?## Certainly the experimental value of ##3.5^2## will never, ever, be declared larger than ##7.2^2## at any significance level whatsoever, and you don't even know any statistics tools to tell you that!

You are falling into the bad habit of just using canned formulas without really thinking about what they mean and whether they are appropriate for a particular problem. That can be fatal.

If I may, hope I don't throw of this discussion with this question: how does one determine the distribution of statistics under different conditions, e.g., with this case: how do we know that when the pop. variance is known, the sample distribution satisfies the ##\chi^2 ## used?

WWGD said:
If I may, hope I don't throw of this discussion with this question: how does one determine the distribution of statistics under different conditions, e.g., with this case: how do we know that when the pop. variance is known, the sample distribution satisfies the ##\chi^2 ## used?

Those are theorems that are proved in more "mathematical" courses. When tailoring material to beginners, it is often necessary to just present statements like that as facts, because their proofs will often involve much more complicated and advanced mathematics than would be appropriate in a first course or an "applied" course. Also, you will typically be given access to tables of values that you can look at when solving specific problems. However, there are also lots of on-line resources that you can use if your tables do not include what you need. Most spreadsheets will have statistical packages that allow by-passing tables altogether and just calling on the spreadsheet to do the computation. Some good hand-held calculators will even have some of the standard statistical distributions included in their capabilities.

All that being said, I am going to engage in a bit of a discussion; it will not be a how-to post for solving a particular problem, but will instead be a discussion on how to structure such problems appropriately, so that you can figure out for yourself what type of analysis to do. It will be a bit long, and I will write it in the context of your current problem, but the same general notions apply to other types of problems as well. I think I can write the following without violating PF policy, because I am not going to tell you exactly how to solve your problem---only how to think about it.

OK, so you have a current system giving a true variance of ##v_0 = 7.2^2##. You do some sampling from a new system and get a sample variance of ##v = 3.5^2.## Obviously, ##v \neq v_0##, but are the differences "significant"? In particular, we really want to know if the new system has smaller variance than the old, and the single sample point we have suggests that it does. However, in any particular experiment you are bound to get sample variances different from ##v_0##, just by chance; in fact, about half the time you will get larger values and about half the time smaller values. Therefore, actually getting a smaller value is really not a surprise. What may be a surprise is getting a value so much smaller than ##v_0##. How likely is it that---if the true variance is ##v_0##--- you can get a value as small as your observed ##v?## Are the chances 25%? Is the chance 1 in a million?

In a typical hypothesis test we pick a value such as 5% and ask whether our observed ##v## has a less than 5% chance of being seen when ##v_0## is really true. That is, if our observation has a chance of more than 5% we declare that we are not surprised enough to declare that the null hypothesis is false. Of course, it may be true or it may be false---we just do not have strong enough evidence. You should also realize that there is nothing special or magical about the value 5%; other values can be used, and often are. (Alternatively, we can try to give a so-called "p-value", which is the actual probability of an observation as small as the one we observed.)

So, to answer your original question, you need to figure out how likely it would be to see a value as small as ##v = 3.5^2## when the true variance is ##v_0 = 7.2^2.## If ##v_0## were true, the calculated value of ##24\: v## would have probability distribution ##v_0 \; \chi^2(24)##, so that ##24\: v/v_0## would have distribution ##\chi^2(24).## Since we have available a table of percentiles for the distribution ##\chi^2(24)## we can see how likely it would be to get a value as small or smaller than the one we actually see.

I have tried to keep this discussion as free as possible of formulas. The aim is to understand intuitively what is happening and how to look at a problem. Once that has been established, then---and only then---can we turn to statistical formulas, because at that point we will have a firm grasp of what formulas to use, and how to use them. Just trying to use some textbook or on-line formulas without such understanding is a really, really bad policy.

Last edited:
WWGD said:

Sorry: I did not notice that my response above was to you rather than the OP. Most of it was intended for the OP, not for you as such.

Likes WWGD
Ray Vickson said:
Sorry: I did not notice that my response above was to you rather than the OP. Most of it was intended for the OP, not for you as such.
No problem, Ray.

1. What is the purpose of testing population variance?

The purpose of testing population variance is to determine whether the observed differences in a set of data are due to random chance or if there is a true difference between the populations being compared. It is a statistical method used to make inferences about the variability of a population based on a sample of data.

2. How is population variance calculated?

Population variance is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, dividing it by the total number of data points, and then taking the square root of the result. This provides a measure of the spread or variability of the data in the population.

3. What is the difference between population variance and sample variance?

Population variance is a measure of the variability of a population, while sample variance is a measure of the variability of a sample drawn from that population. Population variance uses all of the data points in the population, while sample variance only uses a subset of the data. Sample variance tends to underestimate the true population variance, so adjustments are made when calculating it.

4. What are the assumptions for testing population variance?

The main assumption for testing population variance is that the data is normally distributed. This means that the data follows a bell-shaped curve, with the majority of the data falling around the mean and the rest evenly distributed on either side. Other assumptions include independence of data points, equal variances across populations being compared, and random sampling from the population.

5. How do you interpret the results of a population variance test?

The results of a population variance test will provide a p-value, which indicates the probability of obtaining the observed difference (or a more extreme difference) between the populations by chance alone. If the p-value is less than the significance level (usually set at 0.05), then the difference is considered statistically significant and it can be concluded that there is a true difference in the variances of the populations being compared.