Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity Generation by piezoelectric effect in Injection Moulding

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    Hello,

Actually i want to make use of Clamping Force of Injection Moulding Toggle System to produce Electricity by making use of Piezoelectric effect. For example, if we place a quartz crystal (or any other piezoelectric material) on either side of the platen, then on each machine cycle, when force will be exerted on it, will electricity produced in this way be sufficient? We have moulding machines ranging upto 600T, so it means that we can produce huge amount of electricity. Please someone help me in finding out theoretical wattage of electric power generated.

Best Regards,
    MUHAMMAD NOUMAN

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Nomi

sufficient for what ?

I would expect the power generated to be relatively small.
    Gas cooker etc lighters produce quite a spark when the quartz is struck, several 1000V, but the amount of current generated is tiny and hence so is the power (Wattage)

to get significant current, you would have to have significant sized crystals

here's a section from the wiki page on potential uses......

unfortunately it doesn't give any indication on the area covered by the piezo floor tiles

maybe you can do some more research and see what you can find out :smile:

cheers
    Dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

4. Jul 23, 2014 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That sounds nice until you divided 1.1 MWh by the number of hours in a year (8760). You could probably think of much cheaper ways to save an average of 125 watts than this proposal - for example unplug a couple of light bulbs!

5. Jul 23, 2014 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

haha indeed

D

6. Jul 24, 2014 #5
    Thank you for your replies...
    Actually the utilities (lightening and fans) load of our department is about 10kW, which i want to get compensated with the regenerative techniques...We have 45 Injection Moulding Machines (mostly with 400T clamping force) and we want to generate electrical energy through piezoelectric effect, by making use of machine strokes (cycles). Will it be feasible? Will the energy harvested be sufficient to carry the load of utilities, defined above?

If no, then can you suggest any other solution for energy regeneration.

Regards

7. Jul 24, 2014 #6
    Regenerative Energy from Injection Moulding Machines

Thank you for your replies...
    Actually the utilities (lightening and fans) load of our department is about 10kW, which i want to get compensated with the regenerative techniques...We have 45 Injection Moulding Machines (mostly with 400T clamping force) and we want to generate electrical energy through piezoelectric effect, by making use of machine strokes (cycles). Will it be feasible? Will the energy harvested be sufficient to carry the load of utilities, defined above?

If no, then can you suggest any other solution for energy regeneration.

Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook