Compression on Piezoelectric crstals

In summary, piezoelectric crystals can produce electricity from compression only. However, the voltage produced is stored in the crystal as a capacitor and will eventually leak away. Tension, compression, and bending can all generate a voltage in a piezo crystal. Increasing the surface area or mechanical pressure on the crystal can boost the generated voltage, but the key constraint is that continuous pressure will result in a continuous static voltage that cannot do much work. The only way to continuously extract power from a piezo crystal is through varying pressure, such as vibration.
SmritiB
Can piezoelectric crystals produce electricity from compression only ? When continuous compression and tensile forces on them generate AC voltage source, can only compression force give me a DC voltage source ? Is there a chance that the crystal will initially act as a Voltage source but soon re-adjust itself to get its acquired polarity neutralized ? If so, how long typically can the polarity last ? And I would also be glad if i could get some data for my project. specifically: 1.What is the minimum pressure required for any piezoelectric crystal to generate electricity ?
2. How much Volts can i expect from that pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
SmritiB said:
Can piezoelectric crystals produce electricity from compression only ? When continuous compression and tensile forces on them generate AC voltage source, can only compression force give me a DC voltage source ? Is there a chance that the crystal will initially act as a Voltage source but soon re-adjust itself to get its acquired polarity neutralized ? If so, how long typically can the polarity last ? And I would also be glad if i could get some data for my project. specifically: 1.What is the minimum pressure required for any piezoelectric crystal to generate electricity ?
2. How much Volts can i expect from that pressure?
No one has answered you. I think the piezo crystal acts like a small capacitor, so the voltage which is developed is stored across the two surfaces, and eventually it will leak away. The available energy is stored in the capacitor, 0.5 CV^2. Some crystals can give high voltages, sufficient to spark, as with a gas lighter, and others are used for microphones, where the faintest sound still generates a few microvolts. Quartz is used for stable piezo resonators for electronics. I don't think there is any one-way action, and tension, compression and bending will all generate a voltage.

Likes SmritiB
tech99 said:
No one has answered you. I think the piezo crystal acts like a small capacitor, so the voltage which is developed is stored across the two surfaces, and eventually it will leak away. The available energy is stored in the capacitor, 0.5 CV^2. Some crystals can give high voltages, sufficient to spark, as with a gas lighter, and others are used for microphones, where the faintest sound still generates a few microvolts. Quartz is used for stable piezo resonators for electronics. I don't think there is any one-way action, and tension, compression and bending will all generate a voltage.

Thankyou for your idea.

I'm too lazy to do it right now, but boy that Wikipedia chapter needs some editing. Some dude essentially used it for self-promotion.

anorlunda said:
Sorry, piezioelectric devices are inherently low power. To boost 1 microamp to 1 amp, you need a million piezioelectric devices in parallel.

See

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_harvesting#Piezoelectric[/QUOTE0
Your analysis was for millions of crystals of what size ?
What if I increase the surface area or the mechanical pressure on it ? are these methods effective in boosting the generated voltage ?

All those things of course increase the output (up to a point of course, you can't just arbitrarily raise the pressure on a piezo and expect linear response all the way).

The key constraint however is that static pressure creates static voltage, but that static voltage, kinda like a charged capacitor, can't do much work because it quickly becomes equalized with the rest of your circuit. Piezos don't work like batteries which can continuously push electrons. After all, piezos don't actually conduct electricity, so you can't have a circuit like with abattery.
The moment you connect something to a piezo, just like the moment you connect something to a charged capacitor, the piezo will lose voltage differential.

So, the only way to continuously extract power from a piezo is through varying pressure, I.e. vibration.

Last edited:
Likes SmritiB
rumborak said:
All those things of course increase the output (up to a point of course, you can't just arbitrarily raise the pressure on a piezo and expect linear response all the way).

The key constraint however is that static pressure creates static voltage, but that static voltage, kinda like a charged capacitor, can't do much work because it quickly becomes equalized with the rest of your circuit. Piezos don't work like batteries which can continuously push electrons. After all, piezos don't actually conduct electricity, so you can't have a circuit like with abattery.
The moment you connect something to a piezo, just like the moment you connect something to a charged capacitor, the piezo will lose voltage differential.

So, the only way to continuously extract power from a piezo is through varying pressure, I.e. vibration.

I see, Thanks a lot.

1. What is a piezoelectric crystal?

A piezoelectric crystal is a material that can generate an electrical charge when subjected to mechanical stress, and can also experience a change in shape or size when exposed to an electrical field.

2. How does compression affect piezoelectric crystals?

When a piezoelectric crystal is compressed, it generates an electrical charge due to the rearrangement of its internal structure. This is known as the direct piezoelectric effect.

3. What are the applications of compression on piezoelectric crystals?

Compression on piezoelectric crystals is used in various applications such as sensors, actuators, and transducers. It is also used in medical ultrasound technology and in energy harvesting devices.

4. How is compression measured on piezoelectric crystals?

Compression on piezoelectric crystals can be measured using a force sensor or a load cell. The amount of electrical charge generated is directly proportional to the amount of compression applied.

5. What are the limitations of compression on piezoelectric crystals?

One limitation of compression on piezoelectric crystals is that the generated electrical charge is relatively small and may require amplification for certain applications. Additionally, excessive compression can cause the crystal to fracture or lose its piezoelectric properties.