1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The associated Laguerre equation.

1. Aug 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, I need to show that the radial part of the hydrogen wave function has the form
    [tex] \rho^{l+1} e^{-\rho} L_{n-l-1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex]

More specifically, I'm having trouble showing the [tex] L_{n-l-1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex] part because what I get is [tex] L_{n+1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex]. The derivation is relatively easy and it makes me furious that I'm unable to find the mistake.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] L_{\alpha} (x) = e^x \frac{d^{\alpha}}{dx^{\alpha}} (e^{-x}x^\alpha) [/tex]

[tex] L_{\alpha}^\beta (x) = \frac{d^{\beta}}{dx^{\beta}} L_{\alpha} (x) = \frac{d^{\beta}}{dx^{\beta}} (e^x \frac{d^{\alpha}}{dx^{\alpha}} (e^{-x}x^\alpha)) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This equation should be correct:
    [tex] \rho \frac{d^2}{d \rho^2} f(\rho) + 2(l+1-\rho) \frac{d}{d \rho} f(\rho) + (2n-2(l+1)) f(\rho) = 0 [/tex]

Next I introduce the following parameters
    [tex] \alpha = n+1 [/tex]

[tex] \beta = 2l+1 [/tex]

Then the last equation becomes
    [tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} f(2\rho) + (\beta+1-(2\rho)) \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} f(2\rho) + (\alpha-\beta) f(2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

First I deal with the case [tex] \beta=0 [/tex]

[tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} f(2\rho) + (1-(2\rho)) \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} f(2\rho) + \alpha f(2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

I can show that the solution to this is [tex] f(2\rho) = L_\alpha (2\rho) [/tex]

Next I take the [tex] \beta [/tex]'th derivative of the last equation and get

[tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} (\frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} L_\alpha (2\rho)) + (\beta + 1-(2\rho)) \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} L_\alpha (2\rho) + (\alpha - \beta) \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} L_\alpha (2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

Now by writing
    [tex] f(2\rho) \equiv \frac{d^\beta}{d (2\rho)^\beta} L_\alpha (2\rho)) \equiv L_\alpha^\beta (2\rho) [/tex]
    I arrive at
    [tex] (2\rho) \frac{d^2}{d (2\rho)^2} f(2\rho) + (\beta+1-(2\rho)) \frac{d}{d (2\rho)} f(2\rho) + (\alpha-\beta) f(2\rho) = 0 [/tex]

which clearly has the solution [tex] L_\alpha^\beta (2\rho) = L_{n+1}^{2l+1} (2\rho) [/tex]

If you need me to show more thoroughly some of the steps then I can do this. I just didn't want to bother with too many details.

Of course, there's always the chance that I've made a typo somewhere, because the derivations of special functions are quite cumbersome. So far, I've been unable to find anything.

If anyone could take 2 minutes to analyze this I'd really appreciate it.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2009 #2
    Actually, I only need to know what kind of Laguerre functions are used with the hydrogen atom. Sometimes they are defined differently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook