Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Atlantis Enigma

1. May 5, 2005 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

"The Atlantis Enigma"

Has anyone read The Atlantis Enigma by Herbie Brennan?
    A friend reccomended it to me, saying certain bits were worth a read. I'm as far as page 6 and already I'm loosing the will to live. There is no referencing whatsoever, more speculation than I thought possible and he has cited the start of the pleistocene a good 0.6 million years off its true beginning.

Can anyone tell me their thoughts on this book? I'm really not sure I can be bothered to read much further.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2005 #2
    I haven't read it, but my advice in general is that life's too short to push yourself to finish a bad book. More and more I've just been closing books two, three, even ten chapters into them, when the author loses my interest, and throwing them away, or returning them to the library.

So if you're not enjoying that book, I would chuck it and spend the time searching for one that is interesting to read.

4. May 6, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I think you're right. I'm at page 32 and its only getting worse. Few comments are backed up, and he's made at least one comment that would require re-writing every geological textbook out there if it were true... Back to the library it goes.

5. May 8, 2005 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Mythology is always an entertaining read.

6. May 8, 2005 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Allow me to add this, given that I am so dismissive of bad science. You are entirely correct in questioning things that do not make sense to you. You should ask yourself such questions. That is very scientific.

7. May 8, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with one qualifier: Our current physical theories demand that we accept many things that don't seem to make sense. So as much as one must use discretion, there are times when we must yield to the known facts, or what seem to be the facts, in spite of our so called common sense.

As per RP Feynman: Anyone who understands QM hasn't studied it long enough.

8. May 9, 2005 #7
    Mattyaouw,

99,9% of the work on Atlantis is unfounded mythology. 0,1% Only 3 or 4 as far as I know are approaching the tale with the scientific method. The most credible hypothesis is that Atlantis is a mystification of the story of the sea people, as told of on reliefs at Medinet Habu and Karnak. There is a very interesting yet unpublished hypothesis on the names of the kings of Atlantis that are homonyms of facts and persons in the Sea people myths.

That may be the only one thing that you could not blame him for, there are many starts of the Pleistocene, 2,5 My or 1,9 My or 1,6 My It's just depending on what definition you use.

* If the second link doesn't work, just go to Google and put in: "define: pleistocene" (without parentheses)

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  9. May 9, 2005 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Ok, I double checked the Pleistocene dates, and you are right, his date does fall within that range. The first souce I checked said 1.8-1.6 My. I'm still deeply skeptical about just how much of his 'evidence' is real however. I normally enjoy reading a bit of mythological speculation, espescially if its linked to real evidence, but there is still sometrhing about this book that i don't like...

Thanks for the link about the Sea people by the way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?