The Benefits of Using Safety Wire for Secured Fasteners

In summary, safety wire is used to secure fastners to prevent them from loosening. The twist helps to retain tension in the wire, and the side benefit of weed-out of substandard wire is also mentioned.
AME2
I have a question about safety wire. Safety wire is used to secure fastners to prevent them from loosening. What are the benefits of the twist in the wire between points?
Here is a explanation of safety wire."[URL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/safety_wire
I read but don't see a clear picture. perhaps a better view point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, AME2.
The twist is primarily to retain tension in the wire. If a long single loop was used between bolts, it could stretch enough to allow loosening.
As a side benefit, in non-official applications, the act of twisting can weed out a substandard wire because it will break during application.

I understand the side benefit.

Would the wire with no twist be just as efficient? I do not understand the loop and why left over right when you safety wire.

AME2 said:
I understand the side benefit.

Would the wire with no twist be just as efficient? I do not understand the loop and why left over right when you safety wire.

To the first question, no. To the second, I was totally unaware of any such requirement. It's probably just because a right-hander made the rules. (I can't see that it has any correlation with the bound bolts being right-hand threaded, since the wire merely suppresses rotation.)

That is an excellent link, Nucleus. I've bookmarked it for future reference. :approve:
I still didn't see anything about having to twist clockwise, though, other than the illustrations showing that. That leads me to think that the automatic twisting pliers do it, but that it might not be necessary for hand-twisting.

Danger
If you look at the examples with three bolts lock wired together. The direction of twist from the second to the third unit is counterclockwise on some of them. It comes down to where the bolts ended up after torque. It is wired counterclockwise in order to keep the loop in position against the head of the bolt and on others it is wired clockwise for the same reason. Also on the final pigtail is the same rules apply.

So the twist is really both ways – it just makes it look better. There are also lock wire pliers that are reversible or you can do it by hand.
This is covered in AC 43.13-1B Top of Page 7-23.

I see that now. Thanks again for clarifying things.

When I was taught how to safety wire I remember being told that it was indeed left over right. It has to do with the fact that 99% of the fasteners will loosen going in the counter clockwise direction which could cause a right over left twist to unravel and allow the single loop to pass over the top of the nut/bolt.

This is covered in AC 43.13-1B Top of Page 7-23

Indeed, that does explain it. Thanks nucleus

So the double-twist method is used to secure the wire around the bolt head. I also see the clockwise and counterclockwise reasons. Depending on which side of the bolt your on, you want the loop on the bolt head to remain in place by using the other wire as a block (to prevent the loop from rising up over the bolthead)

I guess the left over right rule is kinda out? I would'nt think the wire would come undone unless the wire broke.

No, as far as I know, the twist in the safety wire does not make it stronger. And it can only be as strong as it's weakest point, which would be the single wire through the bolt head. Twisting the wire weakens it.

I was thinking there might be some physics involved here that I was missing. Seems simple enough now.

sometimes you do want to sweat the small stuff.

Last edited:

Related to The Benefits of Using Safety Wire for Secured Fasteners

1. What is safety wire and how does it work?

Safety wire is a type of locking mechanism used to secure fasteners, such as bolts and screws, in place. It involves twisting a thin, strong wire around the head of a fastener and another part of the object it is attached to, creating a tight and secure hold. This prevents the fastener from loosening or falling out due to vibrations or movement.

2. What are the benefits of using safety wire for secured fasteners?

The main benefits of using safety wire for secured fasteners include preventing loosening or movement of the fastener, ensuring the safety and stability of the object it is attached to, and reducing the risk of accidents or damage caused by loose fasteners. It also provides an extra layer of security for critical components in high-risk industries, such as aviation and motorsports.

3. Is safety wire only used in industrial or mechanical settings?

No, safety wire can be used in various settings, including industrial, mechanical, automotive, and even household applications. It is commonly used in industries where safety and reliability are crucial, but it can also be used for DIY projects or repairs.

4. Are there different types of safety wire available?

Yes, there are various types of safety wire available, including stainless steel, galvanized steel, and copper. Each type has different strengths and properties, so it is essential to choose the right type for the specific application.

5. Can safety wire be reused or is it a one-time use product?

Safety wire can be reused, but it is recommended to use new wire each time for optimal safety and security. Reusing safety wire may compromise its strength and effectiveness, increasing the risk of fastener failure.