Better Player: Can A Claim Victory After 50 Games?

• Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a question from an old statistics book about two players, A and B, playing a game where the number of wins and losses for player A is binomially distributed. The question asks if player A can claim to be the better player after winning 30 out of 50 games. The experts recommend using a hypothesis test or calculating the probability of winning 30 games for all possible values of pA. However, the last speaker suggests that the standard deviation for such a distribution is within the two sigma for a 95% confidence level, and that the binomial and normal distributions are virtually identical for n = 50. They also advise reading the old book for more information.
aaaa202
Below is a question I found in old statistics book of mine, that I really would like to know how to solve:
Suppose two players, A and B, play a game. If we assume that A has probability pA og winning and B has probability pB=1-pA of winning, the number of wins and losses for player A will be binomially distributed.
Now let us assume that we a priori don't know pA and pB. Player A and player B play 50 games and it is found that player A wins 30 games. Can he then claim that he is the better player?

Physics news on Phys.org
He can always claim. Politicians do it all the time.

Since this comes from a statistics book, there must be more to this exercise. Perhaps you should read the preceding chapter (hypothesis testing is what it may be called). Or you should use some relationships about the binomial distribution to tell you what the likelihood is that you win 30 out of 50 games, even though your pA is only 0.5.

You've been around long enough to know that PF is about getting assistance in doing your learning/exercises, not about finding someone to do it for you :smile: . So show some attempt and all will be done to help you further !

aaaa202 said:
Below is a question I found in old statistics book of mine, that I really would like to know how to solve:
Suppose two players, A and B, play a game. If we assume that A has probability pA og winning and B has probability pB=1-pA of winning, the number of wins and losses for player A will be binomially distributed.
Now let us assume that we a priori don't know pA and pB. Player A and player B play 50 games and it is found that player A wins 30 games. Can he then claim that he is the better player?

You need to do a hypothesis test.

I have thought about everything you said, I just don't like that as a solution.
I can do a hypothesis test and use as my null-hypothesis that the players are equally good. Then I can calculate the probability that one player wins 30 games and see if I want to reject that on some significance level or I want to disprove my null hypothesis.
I just don't see how much is to be learned from that.

How about instead I look that the general binomial expression:
P(30,50) = K(30,50) * pA^30 * (1-pA)^(50-30)
And then calculate something like:

∫P(30,50)dpA/∫P(30,50)dpA, where the integral in the numerator extends from 0.5 to 1 and the one in the denominator extends from 0 to 1.

To me this approach makes more sense... I guess... though it kind of bothers me that pA is not a probability density, so I am not sure about the validity of the approach. The idea of the above, as you might have guessed, is to take sum the probabilities for winning 30 games for all pA>0.5 and then weight them by the total sum of probabilities for winning 30 games for all possible values of pA (hence the integral). What do you think of this approach?

All far too complicated. You know the standard deviation for such a distribution. A deviation of 5 wins is well within the two sigma for a 95% confidence level .

And for n = 50 the binomial and the normal distribution are virtually identical.
My advice: read that old book !
Binom.jpg

1. Can anyone become a better player after 50 games?

The short answer is yes, anyone has the potential to become a better player after 50 games. However, the extent of improvement may vary depending on various factors such as natural talent, dedication, and practice.

2. How long does it take to see improvements in skills after 50 games?

The time it takes to see improvements in skills after 50 games can vary greatly depending on the individual and the game. Some may see significant improvements in a short period while others may take longer. Consistent practice and a growth mindset are key factors in seeing improvements.

3. What are some effective ways to become a better player after 50 games?

Some effective ways to become a better player after 50 games include setting clear goals, seeking feedback from others, analyzing and learning from mistakes, and practicing regularly. It's also important to have a positive attitude and to continuously challenge oneself.

4. Can a player improve in all aspects of the game after 50 games?

It is possible for a player to improve in all aspects of the game after 50 games, but it may not be realistic to expect significant improvements in every area. It's important to focus on specific skills and consistently work on improving them rather than trying to improve everything at once.

5. How can one measure their progress as a player after 50 games?

One way to measure progress as a player after 50 games is to track statistics and compare them to previous games. Another way is to set personal goals and assess if they have been achieved. Additionally, seeking feedback from others can also provide insight into one's progress as a player.