Is the universe expanding faster than the speed of light?

In summary: So, it would be more like a 'warp bubble' that is expanding and contracting (similar to how a water balloon works).
DrWarezz
Hi all,
It's said that approximately 3 seconds after/into the Big Bang, the 'universe' expanded at a velocity > c.
However, this breaks the laws of SR, right? "No mass can equal/breach c".

So, could someone enlighten me on this subject?
Why are BOTH "No mass can equal/reach c" and "the universe expanded at > c" (for those that believe in the BB) accepted? They contradict each other, right?

Please enlighten me :)

Thanks in advance,
[r.D]

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a postulate of general relativity that in any spacetime the laws of special relativity apply locally. This means that the speed of light in vacuum cannot be exceeded by any object in a local experiment. Globally, the laws of special relativity apply only to a flat and static spacetime (Minkowski spacetime). The universe is assumed to be a Robertson-Walker spacetime (dynamic with spatial expansion) and thus the laws of special relativity apply locally but not globally. The fact that galaxies far away from us may appear to recede at speeds greater than c (which is also true today and not only during the first three minutes) is a consequence of Hubbles law (v = H d) which can be derived asuming a Robertson-Walker spacetime. This speed is merely due to expansion of space (galaxies are comoving with the expansion), although this galaxies may zero proper velocity "on" space. The proper velocity of galaxies "on" space is indeed limited by the laws of special relativity.

As hellfire said, a mass cannot move through space at a speed greater than c. But that law does not apply to space itself.

I do not understand "space itself" vs "through space". I posted a question related to this in the "General Astronomy" section. What is meant by "space itself [can expand faster than c]"?

Picture this. If a car passes you faster than the speed of sound, will you hear it? Of course you will. The sound may not appear to be where you thought it was, but, you will still hear it go by you. Why would light appear to behave any different? The light has no idea how fast the source was traveling when it departed from the emitter. Do you think the sound will 'wink' out of existence once it passes you?

Last edited:
Gonzolo said:
I do not understand "space itself" vs "through space". I posted a question related to this in the "General Astronomy" section. What is meant by "space itself [can expand faster than c]"?

In Relativity, space is a physical part of the universe...not a void. Space is a thing that can be stretched, bent, compressed, etc.

Picture the universe as matter & energy on a backdrop of space & time. "Spacetime" is sometimes called the fabric of the universe (although that can be a misleading name) - - it's what the universe is made of.

Last edited:
Phobos said:
In Relativity, space is a physical part of the universe...not a void. Space is a thing that can be stretched, bent, compressed, etc.

Picture the universe as matter & energy on a backdrop of space & time. "Spacetime" is sometimes called the fabric of the universe (although that can be a misleading name) - - it's what the universe is made of.

I follow, but could you check out this thread I started last week or so :
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=45605

DrWarezz said:
It's said that approximately 3 seconds after/into the Big Bang, the 'universe' expanded at a velocity > c.
However, this breaks the laws of SR, right? "No mass can equal/breach c".

So, could someone enlighten me on this subject?
Why are BOTH "No mass can equal/reach c" and "the universe expanded at > c" (for those that believe in the BB) accepted? They contradict each other, right?
If it were assumed that the spatial component of c is not constant over time, then this would explain why the uiverse expanded at a rate greater than c (as it is here, now, in our current part of the universe), and it could explain why the fringes of the universe are expanding at a rate greater than c (as it is here, now, in our current part of the universe).

If it is assumed that the spatial component of c has never changed, as is common and as you have seen on this forum, it is also possible to make things work by complex mathematical games and complex theories.

Phobos said:
As hellfire said, a mass cannot move through space at a speed greater than c. But that law does not apply to space itself.

Is that like how the Alcubierre (sp?) Warp Drive functions (in theory)?

Alcubiere and Space Expansion

singleton said:
Is that like how the Alcubierre (sp?) Warp Drive functions (in theory)?

Closely related. But David Waite has pointed out that the naive view of the Alcubierre drive (which was Alcubierre's own original view) as expanding space behind the ship and shrinking it ahead, is wrong, and he has a counterexample in which the FTL effect is produced by a rotation on local spacetime.

See this chapter of his online textbook on GR.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
Closely related. But David Waite has pointed out that the naive view of the Alcubierre drive (which was Alcubierre's own original view) as expanding space behind the ship and shrinking it ahead, is wrong, and he has a counterexample in which the FTL effect is produced by a rotation on local spacetime.

See this chapter of his online textbook on GR.

Yikes, scrolling a few pages I have trouble understanding this math, some of the symbols and constants :cry:

FAQ: Is the universe expanding faster than the speed of light?

1. What is the Big Bang?

The Big Bang is a scientific theory that explains the origin and expansion of the universe. It suggests that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How does the Big Bang explain acceleration?

The concept of acceleration in the Big Bang theory refers to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the distance between galaxies increases, causing the expansion to accelerate. This is due to the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 68% of the universe and is causing the acceleration of the expansion.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory. These include the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, the redshift of distant galaxies, and the observed expansion of the universe. These pieces of evidence all point to a universe that began in a hot, dense state and has been expanding ever since.

4. How does the Big Bang theory relate to the creation of the universe?

The Big Bang theory does not necessarily explain the absolute beginning of the universe, but rather describes the early stages of its evolution. It suggests that the universe began in a singularity and has been expanding and evolving ever since. However, the theory does not address what may have caused the singularity to exist in the first place.

5. Can the Big Bang theory be proven?

As with any scientific theory, the Big Bang theory is constantly being tested and refined based on new evidence and observations. While it cannot be proven with absolute certainty, the overwhelming amount of evidence supporting the theory makes it the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe.