The biology of masturbation

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Les Sleeth said:
Oh, let's not be modest now. In fact, I think we need a new medal for this expertise!
Well, since they've never handed out any Philosophy Expert medals, perhaps we can convince them to give you one for this. :wink:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Les Sleeth said:
You and Math is Hard (Evo too) have proven you are wicked, unlike me. o:) I suspect all y'all's ultrasounds were xxx.
Mom said the official results said 666. :devil:

Wow you guys finally found a way to make the biology thread popular... what a subject. Kind of shows you into the the minds of physicists

Naturally, I want to contribute to this intriguing thread (even thou no biologist I am)... On the differences between masturbation and intercourse, I recall an article in a health magazine that mentioned intercourse as a good way to exercise. You'll get muscular exercise and you're pulse and breath increases - even the often forgot streaching may be included. Perhaps the more biology minded could expand on this point, or is this more of a medical question? (Which btw, reminds me to ask why medicine isn't mentioned anywhere on PF?)

Last edited:
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Joel said:
Naturally, I want to contribute to this intriguing thread (even thou no biologist I am)... On the differences between masturbation and intercourse, I recall an article in a health magazine that mentioned intercourse as a good way to exercise. You'll get muscular exercise and you're pulse and breath increases - even the often forgot streaching may be included. Perhaps the more biology minded could expand on this point, or is this more of a medical question? (Which btw, reminds me to ask why medicine isn't mentioned anywhere on PF?)
I think there's a joke in there somewhere about people getting out of shape after getting married...

But, yes, intercourse is very physical. We might even achieve world peace if we prescribed everyone to substitute intercourse for that hour a day of aerobic exercise they're supposed to be getting (though me would wind up with quite an overpopulation problem). It's even worse on animals who need to pursue mates. There are a lot of species where the males have fairly short lifespans because they expend so much energy pursuing females to mate that they then can't survive the winter.

As for your aside about medicine vs biology, you can ask medical questions in the biology topic since medicine is based on biology (sort of like engineering is an applied field of physics, medicine is an applied field of biology). Of course, I only know of one physician on the board (adrenaline) and haven't seen her for a while, so very clinically oriented questions may not get much of an answer.

Thanks, moonbear! I can already imagine the advertisements once someone decides to combine work (physically speaking) and pleasure.

As for your aside answer, I kind of thought that, but then again engineering has it's own forums. But I gather medicine is "two steps away" from physics, while engineering is only one. Of course, I study pol. sci. and comp. sci/engineering, so I doubt I will have very clinical questions... but I was curious anyway. :)