The candidates' views on the separation of church and state

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of same-sex marriage and the interpretation of the separation of church and state by political candidates. The speaker, a libertarian, would only vote for 10 out of 17 candidates due to their understanding of this concept. They express concern over how some candidates interpret this separation, particularly in regards to discrimination against LGBT individuals and the denial of their legal right to marry. The conversation also touches on the issue of discrimination and its different forms in society.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi all! As a republican (libertarian to be exact) I would only consider voting for 10 out of the 17 candidates (I mean, if I were voting age). The 7 I would never vote for are in that place because of their lack of understanding of the separation of church and state. I just don't understand how they interpret that separation to mean that you can, for example, discriminate against LGBT people and deny them marriage legally. What do you guys feel like their interpretation of this concept is?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you might be wanting to discuss same-sex marriage, but you do not explicitly say so. Anyone in the LGBT crowd can marry, that's no problem at all. The problem arises when two people of the same sex want to perform a union and have it recognized as a marriage under the law. Some people find that offensive and others do not, and others just do not have a rigid opinion on the subject but are fluid in interpretation. That is written considering the phrase "discriminate against LGBT people and deny them marriage legally" as being a whole thought unit.

Splitting the phrase into its 2 parts, one can see that there are 2 issues, but cross related:
1. discimination against LGBT people
2. deny them marriage legally. ( which would be a subset in the realm of discrimination ).

Discrimination can come from all quarters of society. Legal discrimination has to be clearly state sanctioned.

This goes against our rules of discussing topics such as religion.

What is the separation of church and state?

The separation of church and state is a principle that refers to the legal and political separation between religious institutions and government institutions. It is based on the idea that the government should not favor or promote any specific religion, and that individuals should have the freedom to practice their own religious beliefs without interference from the government.

Do the candidates support the separation of church and state?

This is a question that can only be answered by each individual candidate. It is important to research and understand each candidate's stance on this issue before making a decision on who to vote for.

Why is the separation of church and state important?

The separation of church and state is important because it ensures that the government remains neutral and does not favor one religion over another. This protects the rights and freedoms of individuals to practice their own religious beliefs without interference or discrimination.

What are some potential conflicts between religion and government?

Some potential conflicts between religion and government include laws or policies that favor one religion over others, government funding for religious institutions, and religious beliefs influencing political decisions. These conflicts can go against the principle of separation of church and state and can lead to discrimination and infringement of individual rights.

Can the separation of church and state be changed?

The principle of separation of church and state is enshrined in the First Amendment of the US Constitution and can only be changed through an amendment to the Constitution. This is a difficult and lengthy process, as it requires approval from two-thirds of the House of Representatives and the Senate, as well as three-fourths of the states. Therefore, it is unlikely that the separation of church and state will be changed in the near future.