1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The chain rule for 2nd+ order partial differential equations

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

w= f(x,y)
    x = u + v Verify that Wxx - Wyy = Wuv
    y = u - v

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to find Wu or Wv but I have no idea on how to proceed to find the 2nd order derivative (or 3rd,4rth etc.. obviously). I assume this somehow uses the chain rule but I had no idea on how to apply it in this situation. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume that your "w" and "W" are the same.

Since W(x,y)= f(x,y), x=u+ v, and y= u- v,
    [tex]W_u= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}= f_x(1)+ f_y(1)= f_x+ f_y[/tex]

[tex]W_v= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial v}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial v}= f_x(1)+ f_y(-1)= f_x- f_y[/tex]

You already have that, right?

Then [itex]W_{uu}= (W_u)_u= (f_x+ f_y)_u[/itex]
    [tex]= \left(\frac{\partial f_x}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}+ \frac{\partial f_x}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\right)+ \left(\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}+ \frac{\partial f_y}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]= \left(f_{xx}(1)+ f_{xy}(1)\right)+\left(f_{xy}(1)+ f_{yy}(1)\right)= f_{xx}+ 2f_{xy}+ f_{yy}[/tex]

Can you try the others, [itex]W_{uv}[/itex] and [itex]W_{vv}[/itex] yourself?

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    Wow! Thanks for that helpful explanation! I get it now !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook