Making Sense of the Chain Rule: Can I Multiply to Find dy/dx?

In summary: So we have to use the Chain Rule.According to the sources I have read, the chain rule states that when two quantities are proportional to each other, then their rates of change are also proportional to each other. So, for the change in f with respect to deltas of 1, we get the change in the x and y direction. If we add these together as vectors you get the result of a right angled triangle where the change in f is the hypotenuse of the triangle and the other sides are the rates of change with a step-size of 1 (not infinitesimal).
Bashyboy
I have read a few sources regarding the chain rule, and a pervasive explanation that most of the sources share is this, which is way to sort of make sense of it:

"Regard du/dx as the rate of change of u with respect to x, dy/du as the rate of change of y with respect to u, and dy/dx as the rate of change of y with respect to x. If u changes twice as fast as x and y changes three times as fast as u, then it seems reasonable that y changes six times as fast as x, and so we expect that dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx."

I don't understand why it is a simple operation of multiplication to find how fast y changes compared to x. Maybe I am missing something. I'd like to mention, though, that I do understand the chain rule; but when I read this description of it, I just don't seem to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way of looking at it (though not as rigorous as the proof of the chain rule) is that, while dy/dx is not a fraction, it is the limit of a fraction- go back before the limit, to [itex]\Delta y/\Delta x[/itex], and with x a function of u, [tex]\Delta y/\Delta x= (\Delta y/\Delta u)(\Delta u/\Delta x)[/tex]. You can "cancel" in that fraction and take the limit.

HallsofIvy said:
The simplest way of looking at it (though not as rigorous as the proof of the chain rule) is that, while dy/dx is not a fraction, it is the limit of a fraction- go back before the limit, to [itex]\Delta y/\Delta x[/itex], and with x a function of u, [tex]\Delta y/\Delta x= (\Delta y/\Delta u)(\Delta u/\Delta x)[/tex]. You can "cancel" in that fraction and take the limit.

In rigorous mathematics, I heard you can't treat dy/dx like a fraction. But I don't think there's anything wrong by doing that, since dy/dx is like (as HallsoIvy said above) Δy/Δx, so isn't there sort of like a value in Δx and Δy? So why can't you treat it like a fraction?

Byron Chen said:
In rigorous mathematics, I heard you can't treat dy/dx like a fraction. But I don't think there's anything wrong by doing that, since dy/dx is like (as HallsoIvy said above) Δy/Δx, so isn't there sort of like a value in Δx and Δy? So why can't you treat it like a fraction?

The simple reason is that you are not dealing with a number so to speak: dy, dx and all the others are not numbers but the results of limits.

The proofs for calculus show when they can be treated like fractions, but remember that in general, they are the result of limiting processes.

One thing you can do however, is to get an understanding by using fixed delta values instead of the infinitesimal ones and see how they affect calculations.

I stress that these are not the same things and only to be used as a naive guide to what's happening, but never the less they can be useful.

Consider the following: the total differential. Let's say you have a function f of two variables x and y that are independent.

Then you can obtain the total differential df = df/dx*dx + df/dy*dy.

If you change the infinitesimals to deltas, then you can see that what this is doing is it's taking the rate of change with respect to each variable and then incrementing it in the right way.

Lets simplify it and let triangle_x = triangle_y = 1 (in place of dx and dy). Also triangle_f is the distance between successive measurements.

So for the change in f with respect to deltas of 1, we get the change in the x and y direction.

If you add these together as vectors you get the result of a right angled triangle where the change in f is the hypotenuse of the triangle and the other sides are the rates of change with a step-size of 1 (not infinitesimal).

But because we are dealing with infinitesimals and limits as opposed to constant numbers we can't just simply "cancel" terms because again they are not numbers.

1. What is the Chain Rule and when is it used?

The Chain Rule is a rule in calculus that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. It is used when we have a function within another function, also known as a composite function.

2. Can I simply multiply to find dy/dx when using the Chain Rule?

No, you cannot simply multiply to find dy/dx when using the Chain Rule. The Chain Rule requires us to use a specific formula, which involves finding the derivative of the outer function and then multiplying it by the derivative of the inner function.

3. How do I know when to use the Chain Rule in a problem?

You should use the Chain Rule whenever you have a composite function, meaning a function within another function. You can also use it when a function is expressed as a power or exponential function.

4. Is the Chain Rule the same as the Product Rule?

No, the Chain Rule and the Product Rule are two different rules in calculus. The Product Rule is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions, while the Chain Rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function.

5. Can the Chain Rule be applied to higher order derivatives?

Yes, the Chain Rule can be applied to higher order derivatives. When finding the second or third derivative of a composite function, you would simply apply the Chain Rule multiple times according to the number of derivatives needed.