The Children of Hurin: Has Anyone Read It?

• Thread starter vincentm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, "The Children of Hurin" is an epic fantasy novel written by J.R.R. Tolkien and edited by his son, Christopher Tolkien. It tells the tragic story of the House of Hurin, a cursed family in the fictional world of Middle-earth. It is a standalone book, but is connected to Tolkien's larger legendarium. Unlike other works by Tolkien, it was completely written by him and is considered darker and more tragic. Prior knowledge of his universe may enhance the reading experience, but it can also be enjoyed as a standalone novel. The book has received mostly positive reviews, with some criticism for its darker tone and slower pacing.
vincentm
Found out about this book not too long ago, and was quite surprised that it came out a few years ago. Has anyone read this? If so, what did you think about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I read it the year it was published. I think Christopher Tolkien, did a great job editing his fathers work. I know John Tolkien revised it several times, I always wondered why he felt it was not ready to publish.
I just love a good tale that involves Humans, Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs, as well as divine being or two.

I have not personally read The Children of Hurin, but I am familiar with the book and its author, J.R.R. Tolkien. While Tolkien is best known for his fantasy works such as The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, he was also a respected scholar and linguist. The Children of Hurin is based on a story from Tolkien's fictional world of Middle Earth and was published posthumously by his son, Christopher Tolkien, in 2007.

From a scientific perspective, I find it interesting that even after his passing, Tolkien's works continue to captivate readers and inspire discussions and debates. The Children of Hurin, in particular, explores themes of fate, free will, and the consequences of one's choices, which are topics that have been studied and debated by philosophers and scientists alike.

While I cannot provide a personal review of the book, I have read that it is a darker and more tragic tale than Tolkien's other works. Some readers have praised its depth and complexity, while others have criticized its slow pace and numerous characters. As with any work of literature, opinions will vary and it is ultimately up to the individual reader to form their own opinion.

In conclusion, while I have not read The Children of Hurin myself, I am aware of its impact and ongoing discussions among readers. I appreciate the power of storytelling and the ability of literature to spark intellectual curiosity and discussion.

What is "The Children of Hurin" about?

"The Children of Hurin" is an epic fantasy novel written by J.R.R. Tolkien and edited by his son, Christopher Tolkien. It is set in the fictional world of Middle-earth and tells the tragic story of the House of Hurin, a family of men who are cursed by the Dark Lord Morgoth.

Is "The Children of Hurin" a standalone book or part of a series?

"The Children of Hurin" is a standalone book, but it is set within the larger context of Tolkien's legendarium, which includes his other works such as "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings". It also ties in with other stories in Tolkien's universe, such as "The Silmarillion".

What makes "The Children of Hurin" different from other works by Tolkien?

"The Children of Hurin" is unique in that it is one of the few works by Tolkien that was completely written by him and not compiled or edited by his son or others. It is also considered to be one of Tolkien's darker and more tragic tales, as it focuses on the downfall of a family rather than the triumph of good over evil.

Is it necessary to read other works by Tolkien before reading "The Children of Hurin"?

While it is not necessary to read other works by Tolkien before reading "The Children of Hurin", having a basic understanding of his universe and mythology may enhance the reading experience. However, "The Children of Hurin" can also be enjoyed as a standalone novel.

What is the reception of "The Children of Hurin" among readers and critics?

The reception of "The Children of Hurin" has been largely positive, with many praising Tolkien's writing and storytelling abilities. However, some have criticized the book for its darker tone and slower pacing compared to other works by Tolkien. Overall, it remains a popular and well-regarded addition to the Tolkien canon.