Proof: Complex Numbers Don't Form an Ordered Field

In summary: However, by defining operations, we are requiring that certain equations must be true. For example, in any field with 1 not equal to 0, we require that x^2+ 1= 0 has a solution. But in an ordered field, for any x not equal to 0, either x^2> 0 or x^2< 0. In R we can have x= 0 or x^2> 0. In R, x^2+ 1= 0 has no solution. The same is true in C: i^2+ 1= 0 has no solution. An ordered field cannot be closed under multiplication by i.
jgens
Gold Member
Would the following prove that the set of complex numbers do not form and ordered field?

Clearly [itex]i \neq 0[/itex]. Therefore, if the complex numbers form an ordered field either [itex]i > 0[/itex] or [itex]i < 0[/itex]. Suppose first that [itex]i > 0[/itex], then [itex]i^2 = -1 > 0[/itex], a contradiction. Now suppose that [itex]i < 0[/itex], then [itex]i^2 = -1 > 0[/itex], another contradiction. Thus, the set of complex numbers do not form an ordered field.

This seems awfully fishy and I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's completely invalid. Feedback and suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You have i2 = -1 > 0, but -1 < 0.

Yes, that's why [itex]i > 0[/itex] and [itex]i < 0[/itex] are contradictions as I state in my original post.

jgens said:
Yes, that's why [itex]i > 0[/itex] and [itex]i < 0[/itex] are contradictions as I state in my original post.
I understand the logic behind what you're saying, but you could say it in a way that is clearer.

Suppose that i > 0.
Multiplying by a positive number preserves the direction of the inequality, so i2 must be positive. This is incorrect, though, because i2 = - 1 < 0. Thus, assuming i > 0 leads to a contradiction.

And similar for the assumption that i < 0.

Thanks for the suggestion! It seems like I always need to add details to my proofs in order to make them clearer. Does the method I'm using work?

What you have proven is that the usual order on the real numbers, in which -1< 0, cannot be extended to the complex numbers.

But you can prove more. Can there exist some order? Perhaps one in which 1< 0and -1> 0?

Suppose such an order existed. The i is not 0 (the additive identity does not depend upon the order). If i> 0 then it follow that (i)(i)= -1> 0. From that i(-1)= -i> i(0)= 0. Now that contradicts i>0. If i< 0, the -i> 0 so (-i)(i)= 1< 0. From that i(1)= i< i(0)= 0 and that contradicts i< 0.

Ok, that proves that there can be no order where 1<0 and -1>0. How does one show that there can not be any order relation defined on the complex numbers? Or R^n for n>1 for that matter?

What about this one:

Let [itex]z_1 = r_1 e^{i\theta_1}[/itex] and [itex]z_2 = r_2 e^{i\theta_2}[/itex], where [itex]\theta[/itex] is restricted to be in [itex][0, 2\pi)[/itex]. Then define > as follows:

1. If [itex]r_1 > r_2[/itex], then [itex]z_1 > z_2[/itex]

2. If [itex]r_1 = r_2[/itex] and [itex]\theta_1 > \theta_2[/itex], then [itex]z_1 > z_2[/itex]

3. If [itex]r_1 = r_2[/itex] and [itex]\theta_1 = \theta_2[/itex], then [itex]z_1 = z_2[/itex]

This looks like an order relation to me...it even has a least element, 0. Now, I know that C is not supposed to have an order relation, so what's wrong with this? Have I implicitly used the axiom of choice or something?

You can certainly put some order on the complex numbers, Ben, but you can't find one that behaves nicely with their algebraic structure. For a field to be considered an ordered field, it must have an order that is compatible with multiplication and addition. That is, we want

a < b ==> a + c < b + c
a < b, c > 0 ==> ac < bc

for all a, b, c. Your order doesn't satisfy either of these properties, so it doesn't make the complex numbers into an ordered field. Sorry.

Ah, yes, that does change things a bit.

Order of a field is defined via a subset of that field. Let's denote it P. An ordered field F contains a subset P that satisfies the following properties:

1) for any a (which is not 0) in F, Either a or -a are in P, but not both.
2) For any a,b in P, a+b is in P.
3) For any a,b in P, a*b is in P.

Then, we say a>b iff (a-b) is in P.

You can see immediately that the C doesn't contain such a set because
if i belongs P, it implies that -i=i*i*i belongs to P (3) in contradiction to (1).
The same if we assume -i belongs to P.

qspeechc said:
Ok, that proves that there can be no order where 1<0 and -1>0. How does one show that there can not be any order relation defined on the complex numbers? Or R^n for n>1 for that matter?
As elibj123 said, one of the requirements for an "ordered field", trichotomy, is that one and only one of the following be true of any member of the field, x: (trichotomy)
a) x= 0
b) x> 0
c) x< 0

You cannot have "-1< 0" and "1> 0" in any ordered field (where "1" is defined as the multiplicative identity and "0" is defined as the additive identity).

Your reference to [itex]R^n[/itex] doesn't make sense because it is not a field. What arithmetic operations would you wish to define on it to make it a field?
If you ignore the operations, then the complex numbers can be ordered (any set can be). One such order ("lexicographical") is "If a< c then a+bi< c+ di. If a= c and b< d, then a+bi< c+ di." That's a perfectly good order on C or [itex]R^2[/itex] and can be extended in an obvious way to [itex]R^n[/itex]. As long as you don't look at the operations, there is no problem.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter "i" and is equal to the square root of -1. Complex numbers are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

What is an ordered field?

An ordered field is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two operations (addition and multiplication) and a relation (usually denoted by the symbol <) that satisfies a specific set of axioms. These axioms include properties such as closure, commutativity, distributivity, and the existence of an identity element.

Why can't complex numbers form an ordered field?

Complex numbers cannot form an ordered field because they do not satisfy the axioms of an ordered field. For example, the axiom of trichotomy (which states that for any two elements x and y, either x < y, x = y, or x > y) does not hold for complex numbers. This is because complex numbers do not have a natural ordering like real numbers do.

How do we prove that complex numbers don't form an ordered field?

To prove that complex numbers do not form an ordered field, we can show that they do not satisfy at least one of the axioms of an ordered field. For example, we can show that the axiom of trichotomy does not hold for complex numbers by providing a counterexample. This would be sufficient to prove that complex numbers do not form an ordered field.

What implications does this have in mathematics?

The fact that complex numbers do not form an ordered field has important implications in mathematics. This means that we cannot use the usual ordering properties of real numbers when working with complex numbers. It also means that we need to be careful when applying concepts from ordered fields to complex numbers, as they may not hold in this context.