The Contrary Laws of Reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of color and reflection, specifically in relation to how much light an object absorbs and reflects. The participants also touch on the limitations of human color vision and the importance of objective measurements in understanding this phenomenon.
IATF
laser-beam-120716.jpg
So, I was just working out on color and reflection but then turned a little bit confused. The main phenomenon we study everywhere is that a colored object absorbs light of all wavelengths excepting the light of its own color. Then comes the problem. As per that, if I beam a GREEN LASER on a RED object, it must have absorbed all the light. But this is not what happens, the Green light of laser is reflected in all of the directions and can be seen from many positions.

imaging.png

Attachments

• laser-beam-120716.jpg
    laser-beam-120716.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 929
  • imaging.png
    imaging.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 404
Science news on Phys.org
No object is a perfect absorber of any wavelength, let alone a broad range. A black piece of paper merely absorbs a much larger percentage of the incoming light than a white piece of paper. The same is true of all other objects. A red apple reflects more light in the red end of the spectrum than the rest, but it does not absorb all of the non-red light falling on it.

Likes IATF
Is the percentage of light absorbed proportional to the amount of light falling on it, or the value is predetermined for the object?

IATF said:
Is the percentage of light absorbed proportional to the amount of light falling on it, or the value is predetermined for the object?
What is your opinion about that?
Human colour vision is very clever and also very limited at the same time so you cannot rely on what you 'see' to answer your question.

I asked this question because we know that anything seems brighter and more detailed in more light, and concluded that that light reflected out could be proportional to light absorbed. What's your opinion towards this?

I have no reason to think that the proportion of light reflected from a surface would change according to the amount of light (with the same spectrum) falling on it. That simple relationship could well change if the level of light energy were high enough to alter the surface (e.g. change its temperature to red hot). What your eyes / brain make of a scene is not related in any simple way to the actual situation; the retina is not a simple linear detector, for instance and visual acuity depends upon incident light levels.
My "opinion" is based on standard teaching and personal measurements. Have you read the standard stuff about reflectivity of light? It's always a good idea to start with some reading before asking questions.

IATF said:
I asked this question because we know that anything seems brighter and more detailed in more light, and concluded that that light reflected out could be proportional to light absorbed. What's your opinion towards this?

This is not necessarily true, because you are forgetting one thing: the sensitivity of the eye for a particular wavelength.

I wrote about the shortcoming of the human eye as a detector already. It is possible that an incoming light may be in the range that the eye is less sensitive to, while the reflected light is in the range that the eye is more sensitive to. This then will make it appear that the reflected light is brighter than the incident light. While not strictly in the same physics, blacklight reflection is one such example.

The ONLY way to do this objectively (i.e. not to include the shortcoming of our eye into the equation) is to look at UV-VIS-type experiments. Otherwise, you will always be questioned on whether your eye is deceiving you with what you think you saw.

Zz.

Likes sophiecentaur
@OP
What laws of reflection are you talking about and how are they "contrary" ?

1. What are the Contrary Laws of Reflection?

The Contrary Laws of Reflection refer to the phenomenon where the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are equal but in opposite directions when a ray of light hits a flat reflecting surface. This is also known as the law of reflection.

2. Who discovered the Contrary Laws of Reflection?

The Contrary Laws of Reflection were first discovered by the ancient Greek mathematician, Euclid, in the 4th century BC. However, the modern understanding of these laws is credited to the 17th century scientist, Rene Descartes.

3. What is the practical application of the Contrary Laws of Reflection?

The Contrary Laws of Reflection have numerous practical applications, including in the design of mirrors, optical instruments, and light-reflecting surfaces. They also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of light in various scenarios, such as in photography and astronomy.

4. Are the Contrary Laws of Reflection applicable only to visible light?

No, the Contrary Laws of Reflection apply to all types of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, and even X-rays. This is because all of these forms of radiation behave as waves and obey the same fundamental principles of reflection.

5. Can the Contrary Laws of Reflection be broken or violated?

No, the Contrary Laws of Reflection are fundamental principles of physics and cannot be broken or violated. However, they can be affected by external factors such as the properties of the reflecting surface, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the incoming light. In some cases, the reflected light may not be visible to the human eye, but the laws of reflection still apply.