The crossed ladder problem and optics mirror/lens equation

• Thread starter Vriska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary: Nevertheless, this form still follows the pattern of 1/a + 1/b = 1/c. In summary, the equation 1/a + 1/b = 1/c appears frequently in various scientific contexts, such as lens/mirror formulae, parallel resistors, and harmonic averages. It can be derived from the crossed ladders problem and is useful in both electrical calculations and X-ray crystallography. Though its form may vary, the pattern of 1/a + 1/b = 1/c remains consistent.
Vriska
the 1/a + 1/b = 1/c keeps cropping up all over the
place like the lens/mirror formula, parallel resistors but why? All these somewhat seem related to me as some kind of harmonic average, like they're the constraints of some kind of crossed ladder problem:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_ladders_problem

My apologies if this post isn't quite coherent, I'm just looking for more insight into the 1/a + 1/b = 1/c form that keeps cropping up

Science news on Phys.org
Vriska said:
the 1/a + 1/b = 1/c keeps cropping up all over the
place like the lens/mirror formula, parallel resistors but why? All these somewhat seem related to me as some kind of harmonic average, like they're the constraints of some kind of crossed ladder problem:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossed_ladders_problem

My apologies if this post isn't quite coherent, I'm just looking for more insight into the 1/a + 1/b = 1/c form that keeps cropping up
If you are happy when you meet
p=q+r
and the units for pqr are defined in one way (say speeds) then, if you happen to have measured or defined those three quantities in reciprocal terms such as 'time taken to go 1m' then p=1/a q=1/b r=1/c then you could re-write the first equation as
1/a = 1/b + 1/c
I know I have only stated the (mathematical) obvious but you have already accepted the idea of a mathematical representation of a situation (total speed = speed1 +speed2). So you really could accept all the consequences of where the maths takes you, which is that 'harmonic equation'.

In electrical calculations, it is particularly useful to be 'ambidextrous' and to be able to talk in terms of Impedance or Admittance (or just Resistance and Conductance) to suit the particular problem you are dealing with.
In the case of your crossed ladder problem, I wonder whether it could be worth while approaching it by giving the ladders and the wall 'reciprocal lengths'. I am not geeky enough (too dumb) to do that but I am sure someone could manage to solve the problem in just a couple of lines with an 'inside out' solution. It did strike me that there could be a related problem in Xray crystallography where the wave number is used in working out reflections in a lattice. (??)

I'm not sure if there's anything fundamental about 1/a + 1/b = 1/c. As sophiecentaur points out, the form of the equation can change by defining alternative variables. For example, the thin lens equation can be written in the Newtonian Form as x0xi=f2 where the object and image distances are measured from the front and rear focal points.

1. What is the crossed ladder problem?

The crossed ladder problem is a geometric puzzle that involves two ladders of equal length crossing each other at a certain height. The goal is to determine the distance between the point where the ladders cross and the nearest wall.

2. How is the crossed ladder problem related to optics?

The crossed ladder problem is a simplified version of the lens/mirror equation in optics. Just like how the ladders in the problem act as mirrors, light rays can reflect off of mirrors and lenses to form images. The crossed ladder problem helps to visualize the concepts of image formation and distance in optics.

3. What is the lens/mirror equation in optics?

The lens/mirror equation is a mathematical formula that relates the distance of an object from a lens or mirror, the distance of the image from the lens or mirror, and the focal length of the lens or mirror. It is given by the formula: 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length.

4. How can the lens/mirror equation be applied in real-life situations?

The lens/mirror equation is commonly used in designing and understanding the behavior of optical instruments, such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. It can also be used in everyday situations, such as determining the size and position of an image formed by a bathroom mirror.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the crossed ladder problem and optics mirror/lens equation?

One common misconception is that the crossed ladder problem can only be solved using trigonometry. While trigonometry can be used to solve the problem, it can also be solved using basic geometry and the lens/mirror equation. Another misconception is that the lens/mirror equation only applies to perfect mirrors and lenses, when in fact it can be used to approximate the behavior of real-life imperfect mirrors and lenses.