The Curse of Elon Musk: Redirect Satellites to Sun or His Backyard?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary: This image from the International Astronomical Union.In summary, this guy has destroyed astronomy for amateur and professional alike. His actions are criminal and this is just the start.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
this guy should be locked up !!
Seriously, this guy has destroyed astronomy for amateur and professional alike
His actions are criminal and this is just the start :oldmad::oldmad::oldmad:
just one recent example ...

elon musk satellites.jpg
Maybe he should redirect his satellites in a path that avoids blocking celestial objects that astronomers are interested in?
May I suggest a path directly INTO the sun? If not, how about directly into Elon's back yard? Either would suit me just fine...

Likes tech99
Astronomy news on Phys.org
davenn said:
His actions are criminal

It is even worse. His actions are not criminal due to a lack of corresponding rules. As long as the satellites are duly registered they are perfectly legal. There is nothing that could stop him or others from spamming the sky.

DrStupid said:
It is even worse. His actions are not criminal due to a lack of corresponding rules. As long as the satellites are duly registered they are perfectly legal. There is nothing that could stop him or others from spamming the sky.

uh huh, maybe I should qualify the comment ... criminal to everyone outside the govt's that allow this sort of thing :frown:

davenn said:
the govt's that allow this sort of thing

They do not allow it. They just forgot to forbid it. Nobody considered this situation when the international space law has been established. But instead of a corresponding update there is currently reather a tendency to cancel international treaties.

Likes Keith_McClary and russ_watters
Are there practical things that can make satellites like that more stealthy? Paint them with non-optically-reflective black paint?

Likes Dragrath and davenn
berkeman said:
Are there practical things that can make satellites like that more stealthy?

In general, it's difficult as more often than not, the sat's surfaces are covered in solar panels for battery charging,
and they are very reflective, I haven't seen a photo of one of these actual satellites before launch

Or if the orbital data is available, can you program your camera to filter them out?

Likes stefan r
Take multiple images and stack using median combine and that should remove them.
Regards Andrew

Likes sophiecentaur
Post in on Twitter, maybe you get a response :biggrin:

Likes Nick-stg
Classical conflict of interests: some people want to earn money, others want to do science. The money people usually win.

Likes swampwiz
Ibix said:
Or if the orbital data is available, can you program your camera to filter them out?
there's too many of them and 100's more coming. trails like that cannot be filtered out

andrew s 1905 said:
Take multiple images and stack using median combine and that should remove them.
Regards Andrew

Image stacking is the norm anyway, doesn't help, too many of these bl$$dy things

Jando said:
The money people usually win.

Sad but true

This image from the International Astronomical Union
14352062-7102685-Experts_have_condemned_the_launch_of_Elon_Musk_s_Starlink_projec-a-3_15596516...jpg

Isn't that typical of humans to soil their environment and think nothing of it, as long as it doesn't affect themselves.
Light pollution just gets getting more and more "disgusting." They built a new bridge here and what do they do - this is the federal gov't by the way who tries to pass themselves on as being environmental mindful - they light it up with those colored LED lights for show, and the public blabbers say what a sight - no regard for the little kids that will grow up and never see a clear sky in their growing up years and fantasize about the universe.

Well, technological progress, and the push for immediate gratification, does indeed have its downside.

• Sad
Likes Amrator, Nick-stg, Not anonymous and 2 others
Do these satellites present any problems for the new Thirty Meter Telescope in Hawaii? If not how are they mitigating the presence of the satellites?

gleem said:
Do these satellites present any problems for the new Thirty Meter Telescope in Hawaii? If not how are they mitigating the presence of the satellites?
They might mitigate the problem with satellites in the Hawaiian sky by building the telescope in the Canary Islands!

Likes Keith_McClary
berkeman said:
Are there practical things that can make satellites like that more stealthy? Paint them with non-optically-reflective black paint?
Thermal management is critical for satellites, so probably not.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
davenn said:
Image stacking is the norm anyway, doesn't help, too many of these bl$$dy things
While I haven't experienced the Starlink specific issue yet, previously I would just reject subs that had this issue. But it should be possible to subtract the streaks from each sub before stacking. A dark streak has a whole lot less impact on the stack than a bright one.

gleem said:

Every telescope anywhere on Earth with a latitude of ~ + - 65 deg going by the images I have seen
showing their satellite orbital coverage
websterling said:
They might mitigate the problem with satellites in the Hawaiian sky by building the telescope in the Canary Islands!

HUH ??! I have to assume that was a joke because if it wasn't, then you don't understand the problem !

Paging @mfb -- was this part of the planning for these new arrays of communication satellites?

HUH ??! I have to assume that was a joke because if it wasn't, then you don't understand the problem !
It was supposed to be a joke, hence the exclamation point! The joke being that any problem with anything in the Hawaiian sky (which was specifically mentioned) would be mitigated if the telescope were built in the Canary Islands.

I thought it was funny. And, FYI, I do understand the problem.

Likes Dale
davenn said:
Every telescope anywhere on Earth with a latitude of ~ + - 65 deg going by the images I have seen
showing their satellite orbital coverage
Then as far as they are concerned there is no (significant) issue with the satellites.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
gleem said:
Then as far as they are concerned there is no (significant) issue with the satellites.
HUH ??
who are they ?
please explain your response

gleem said:

Professional astronomers since they have been building new terrestrial telescopes since the first satellite was launched.

The Starlink satellites are launched to a height of ~300 km and raise their orbit to 550 km using ion thrusters. To do so they fly in a low drag configuration, which makes the solar panels very visible around sunset/sunrise. After they reach their operational altitude the current satellites re-orient their solar panels and dim to magnitude 5-6, future satellites might become even dimmer (they are testing a new coating right now - you can't make it black, but they change the directions the light is reflected/scattered to). With 5-6 they are only visible in places with a very dark sky, if the new coating works well they will become completely invisible to the naked eye. Telescopes will still spot them, of course, just like they spot the thousands of other satellites, that is unavoidable.

Only a few batches of satellites are raising their orbit at the same time, and while they do so they have predicable orbits (so astronomers can plan ahead) and they enter the shadow of Earth quite soon due to their low orbits (they are not visible for most of the night). It's not a big deal for professional observations. They would prefer absolutely no satellites apart from orbital telescopes, obviously, but that's not realistic.
If you absolutely need to take an image of a region in the sky at the time a train of satellites will fly through you can still take many images and remove the satellites in software.
davenn said:
I haven't seen a photo of one of these actual satellites before launch
Here is one. With annotations here.
gleem said:
Professional astronomers since they have been building new terrestrial telescopes since the first satellite was launched.
It is not without impact, but the impact is not as large as some people claim.
Jando said:
Classical conflict of interests: some people want to earn money, others want to do science. The money people usually win.
Some people want internet access. About 3 billion of them do not have internet access at the moment, but such a satellite constellation can provide internet for nearly everyone - they only need a user terminal. I really hope they win. Internet access for everyone is so much more important than a few affected pictures of selected night sky objects.

Likes StatGuy2000, sophiecentaur, Dragrath and 1 other person
The appropriate requirement is for Elon Musk to provide free transport of astronomers, all the telescopes, a large amount of support equipment and material, and family members, to a base on the far side of the moon.

That's where you want to be to do astronomy anyway.
- No atmosphere to ruin exposures. No weather. No clouds. Nothing to block the parts of the spectrum that don't get through even clear air.
- Light pollution from cities far less important because no atmosphere to reflect it. Even when there are cities.
- Put up a sun shade and very little change in temperature. So your telescope is not going to "krink" as the daily temperature cycles.
- No wildlife to fly into the telescopes.
- Two week exposures with very little effort.
- And it is never "moon bright." Or even "Earth bright" on the far side.

Probably not a bad place for the gravity wave detector folk also.

Likes swampwiz, trurle and berkeman
mfb said:
Here is a system that blocks exposure for places where satellites are - all of them, not just Starlink. It uses tracking information and then just stops recording in the region directly around the satellite. Overall loss of exposure time is tiny.
Thanks @mfb that's an obvious solution that is not obvious until you think about it. So astronomers will be forced to use a system like that, but when they do the problem mostly goes away.

I read that companies other than SpaceX have similar plans for orbiting nets of satellites; on the order of 45K satellites planned so far.

It is hard to dispute that Internet access for all 7 billion people on the planet is a high priority human welfare issue. Maybe all of them will become PF members and post to this thread :rolleyes:

anorlunda said:
It is hard to dispute that Internet access for all 7 billion people on the planet is a high priority human welfare Facebook issue.
OK, I admit it. . . I obviously messed with your quote. . . . 🤦‍♂️

Lol. . . I believe I made it "more truthful". . . . 😣
anorlunda said:
Maybe all of them will become PF members and post to this thread
Maybe all of them will become PF members, sometime, after they hold a Facebook

account ?

1580446890794.png

Carry on. . . . 😏.😛

Likes davenn
davenn said:
This image from the International Astronomical Union
View attachment 256070
Seriously? You haven't figured out that Elon Musk is a leader of the vanguard for an imminent alien colonization of the Earth? Putting up hundreds of satellites is to reduce our ability to spot the approaching armada and maybe jam any nuclear missiles we might send their way.

(Btw, it's easy to tell that EM is an alien, just from that lame face mask he always wears.)

• Haha
Likes phinds, davenn and Klystron
DEvens said:
The appropriate requirement is for Elon Musk to provide free transport of astronomers, all the telescopes, a large amount of support equipment and material, and family members, to a base on the far side of the moon.
I'm sure he would be happy to promise that.

Astronomers are not forced to use a system, but it does improve the quality of some observations. It's quite an obvious approach I think.
anorlunda said:
I read that companies other than SpaceX have similar plans for orbiting nets of satellites; on the order of 45K satellites planned so far.
~12000 for Starlink (SpaceX), 650-2500 for OneWeb, ~3000 for Project Kuiper (Amazon). Telesat (Canada) and China are planning constellations with a few hundred satellites. SpaceX is considering more satellites but that is not a fixed plan yet.

It seems to me reflected photons are wasted photons as far as energy generation is concerned. Why should solar panels be reflective? Alternatively, use the NASA black to trap photons and generate thermal phonons to operate solid-state thermoelectric generators (Alphabet Energy).

An ideal solar panel wouldn't reflect anything but an ideal solar panel doesn't exist.
Gary Feierbach said:
Alternatively, use the NASA black to trap photons and generate thermal phonons to operate solid-state thermoelectric generators (Alphabet Energy).
Too inefficient, especially without a cooling source.

Back