The derivative of a Taylor series?

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding the derivative of a Taylor series, which is a generalization of what they have already learned about finite polynomials. They are struggling with the sigma notation used in the series and are hoping for a simpler explanation. The answer is that the derivative can be found by differentiating each term individually, thanks to uniform convergence.
badamann
I took my first calculus class over the last two semesters, and my teacher and I privately worked on some harder material together. Toward the end of the school year he gave me a question that I never answered and never found an answer for. It asked me to find the derivative of a Taylor series. I don't remember the specific problem, but if someone could shed some light, that'd be lovely!

Physics news on Phys.org
you are kidding right? i.e. what do you think?

I'm not kidding at all. At the time I received the problem I'd never heard of a Taylor series, and I haven't seen a problem with one since. It's something I've never had the opportunity to learn at school thus far.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but if f(x)=Ʃanxn in some interval, then f'(x)=Ʃnanxn-1 in the interior of that interval; that is, you can differentiate the series termwise. This is because of uniform convergence, which can be shown with the Weierstrass M-test.

Really, it's a very plausible generalization of what you already know for finite polynomials.

I'm really just caught up in looking at the sigma notation.. It throws me out of whack. I'm assuming I'm making a much bigger deal out of this than I should be.

This may be a better question:

If f(x) = f(a) + [f'(a)/1!](x-a) + [f"(a)/2!](x-a)^2 + ...
Then f'(x) = ?

Last edited:
badamann said:
This may be a better question:

If f(x) = f(a) + [f'(a)/1!](x-a) + [f"(a)/2!](x-a)^2 + ...
Then f'(x) = ?

Exactly what you would get if you differentiated each term individually.
Provided it converges.

badamann, just use the power rule.

Thank you. I'm not sure why I made it out to be quite so difficult... :(

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a mathematical function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function with polynomials.

What is the derivative of a Taylor series?

The derivative of a Taylor series is the result of differentiating each term in the series. This results in a new series that represents the derivative of the original function.

Why is the derivative of a Taylor series important?

The derivative of a Taylor series is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function at any point. It is also used in many applications such as optimization, curve fitting, and numerical analysis.

How is the derivative of a Taylor series calculated?

The derivative of a Taylor series is calculated by differentiating each term in the series using the rules of differentiation. This results in a new series with coefficients that are the derivatives of the original function's coefficients.

What is the relationship between the derivative of a Taylor series and the original function?

The derivative of a Taylor series is the same as the derivative of the original function at the point where the series is centered. This means that the derivative of a Taylor series can be used to approximate the derivative of the original function at that point.