1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The domain of a cartesian function from parametric equations

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    x = 2cot t

y = (sin t)^2

t is greater than 0 but less than or equal to pi/2

The cartesian can be found using trig identities to be:

y = 8/ (4+ x^2)

What would be the range of the cartesian equation? I think it would be x is greater than or equal to 0, since when t = pi/2, x = 0, and as t tends to 0, x tends to infinity.

Am I correct?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your title says "domain" but in the body of your message you say "range". Which is it?

If you are thinking of the "cartesian equation" as y a function of x, then the domain is the set of all possible x values which is the set of all vaues of cot(t) for t between 0 and pi/2 and the range is the set of all y values which is the set of all values of (sin t)^2 for t between 0 and pi/2.

4. Jun 11, 2008 #3
    Sorry for the confusion! I meant the domain! Would my answer therefore be correct?

Thanks

5. Jun 11, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?