The Earth is Growing: A Thought-Provoking Theory

• Thread starter HornyLlama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, a new member shared a video on a theory they found interesting and asked for opinions. A forum member pointed out that the topic is banned and another dismissed the theory as nonsense. The original poster asked for additional information and elaboration on the problems with the theory.
HornyLlama
Hey everyone,
This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while. Anyway, I came across this video and wanted to hear some opinions on it. I did a quick search and nothing came up so sorry if this is a re-post.

IMO, the theory seems valid on the surface. Of course, there are a few problems with it(like everything in science over the past 100 years being discredited). Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You will find this in our banned topics list.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2269439#post2269439

It is nonsense.

Hi there! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing the video, I haven't seen it before. I agree that the theory seems interesting, but I would definitely need to do more research before forming a solid opinion on it. Can you share any sources or additional information about the theory? Also, I'm curious about the problems you mentioned - can you elaborate on those? Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this as well.

Related to The Earth is Growing: A Thought-Provoking Theory

1. What evidence supports the theory that the Earth is growing?

There are several lines of evidence that support the idea that the Earth is growing. One of the main pieces of evidence is the observation of new seafloor spreading at mid-ocean ridges, which suggests that the Earth's crust is expanding. Additionally, geological formations such as large igneous provinces and continental rift zones also support the idea of a growing Earth. Finally, the Earth's increasing radius over time, as measured by precise satellite data, provides further evidence for this theory.

2. How does the growing Earth theory explain the existence of continents?

The growing Earth theory suggests that the continents were once connected and have since moved apart as the Earth expands. This is known as continental drift and is supported by evidence such as the matching coastlines of continents, similar rock formations, and the presence of identical fossils on different continents. The theory posits that as the Earth grows, the continents are pushed apart from each other due to the expansion of the crust.

3. Does the growing Earth theory contradict plate tectonics?

While the growing Earth theory is not fully accepted by the scientific community, it does not necessarily contradict plate tectonics. In fact, some scientists have proposed that the two theories can work together, with the Earth growing in size due to the addition of new material at mid-ocean ridges and the movement of tectonic plates causing continents to drift apart. However, more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between these two theories.

4. Is there any evidence that the Earth is not growing?

Some scientists argue that the Earth is not growing and that the observed increase in the Earth's radius is simply due to changes in the Earth's shape or movement of tectonic plates. Additionally, the growing Earth theory has not been widely accepted by the scientific community, and there is ongoing debate and research on the subject. However, the evidence supporting the growing Earth theory cannot be entirely dismissed and warrants further study.

5. How does the growing Earth theory impact our understanding of other planetary bodies?

If the Earth is indeed growing in size, it could have significant implications for our understanding of other planetary bodies. For example, it could suggest that other planets and moons in our solar system are also expanding, which could help explain their geological features. Additionally, it raises questions about the formation and evolution of our solar system and the processes that govern the growth of planets. Further research and exploration will be necessary to fully understand the implications of the growing Earth theory on our understanding of other planetary bodies.