The education of physics degree.. and jobs.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
OrionVTOL
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
I love watching documentaries on that which utilizes physics principles and since I lost my job, I have pondered the idea of going to get a second degree. A part of me thinks how great it would be to go into a physics type degree, but I know that means the highest level math would be required. I did pretty well in the lower level math classes, but didn't get into the more cerebral types and I must admit that I find the posibility of being in such a class quite daunting. When I watch documentaries, they often have very advanced equations written down, and to me, I don't see how I could ever wrap my mind around it. Now, I know that they [the physicists] have many years of "gradually increasing difficulty" math in their past as they attained their knowledge, . . . but I have to wonder if some people's minds are predisposed to being good at math where others would never be able to "get it".

Having said that, . . . I am open to the possibility that a physics degree would be difficult to transfer to a good paying job, so the second part of this thread has to do with. . . "what would I do WITH a physics type degree"?

I appreciate your input.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This topic comes up once a week - I did a quick search and found these threads. The general consensus is a counter question to yours of "what do YOU want to do with your degree?"

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338504

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=156268&highlight=physics+degree

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=209590&highlight=physics+degree

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=376056&highlight=physics+degree

Keep searching around there's plenty of these threads. Good luck.
 
Definitely those links address the second question. However, the first question is more important.

Thanks.
 
Normally questions have a question mark (?), I only see one question mark in your thread. :-p I'll assume that you mean the "but I have to wonder if some people's minds are predisposed to being good at math where others would never be able to "get it"." part. So in that case, I found this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=312073

Good luck.